Canon landscape lenses

Sydkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What are you guys using and how have you liked/disliked them? How long have you owned it? If I were to buy just 1 lens for landscape, which one would you recommend to me? Have you had success with teleconverters?

Without a doubt: Canon 10-22mm EF wide angle, it gets everything. I've had it for about a year or so. Teleconverters I think only make a lens much more narrow in the scope of what is captured.

There is no "law" that says you need a wide angle to do landscapes.
It depends what you want to do.

One of the greatest landscape photographers of the last 100 years, Ansel Adams, regularly used a normal and telephoto lenses.

I was shooting a sunset the other day down at the pier and I actually went to 150mm (300mm 35equiv) to frame a restaurant with the sunset. Alas, this is an exception, but one to think of.

Reg makes a good point - sometimes a telephoto is what you need for a certain sight. Also whilst the 10-20mm (canon or sigma make - both have the same quality of image) is a very good wideangle lens and possibly the best one for a crop sensor - it loses out a bit on a fullframe camera since one cannot use its whole focal range (since the sensor ends up bigger than the projected image onto it)

Firstly, what camera are you using?

As mentioned, there is no 'best' lens for anything...it all depends what you like.

I use crop sensor cameras and my 10-22mm lens is by far my favorite for landscapes.

well ...

I love my Sigma 10-20 and my Tamron 17-50 .... depends on the landscape. I found my Sigma a bit too wide at the Grand Canyon because it was hard to maintain perspective, but MissMia's Grand Canyon shots with the 10-20 are gorgeous.

What is a landscape lens???

Just last week I shot landscapes at 17mm on full frame, but also at 300mm.

If you ask about wide angle lenses though, the 17-40 f/4 is a bargain, a very nice lens for the money. a bit soft off the centre at f/4, but for landscape photography there is always a tripod and so most of the time you will be at f/8 or f/22 anyway.

On a 1.6 crop, that 17-40 would be not wide enough for me though.

Most reactions

Back