Canon Lens Help for trip to Iceland

rappatt195

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I am looking for some suggestions on what type of lenses I should take to an upcoming trip to Iceland. I own the 5D Mark IV and have a Canon 35mm f1.4L and Canon 85mm f/1.8. I was debating on renting a 70-200mm but now am rethinking all of my lenses as the trip gets closer. I am mostly interested in taking photos of the Northern Lights/Waterfalls and just general landscapes and if I spot some wildlife then sure that too. Any helpful tips are appreciated.

I also have the Mark IV and If it were me based on what you described. Id take the following three.
16-35 f4 L (wide angle landscapes where I want to emphasize the foreground)
70-200 f4 L (Intimate landscapes and panos where foreground is of no interest, Wildlife)
A fast prime somewhere between 20-25mm, for me Id take my Zeiss 25mm f2 (Northern Lights, astro)

Unfortunately fast 35mm and 85mm lenses would not be at the top of my list for landscapes. If I was getting the opportunity to go to Iceland Id want something more versatile on the long and short ends.

Actually as I sit here rethinking this a bit. I'm sure that 35mm 1.4 would serve pretty well for the Northern lights. It wouldn't be my personal first choice but working with what you already have Id say its good.

Actually as I sit here rethinking this a bit. I'm sure that 35mm 1.4 would serve pretty well for the Northern lights. It wouldn't be my personal first choice but working with what you already have Id say its good.

I would agree, a zoom like the 16-35 might a little versatile
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

If you are going to rent, look for a 28-300L. It's heavy, not fast and gets kind of soft at the extreme but it is versatile. Just a thought. I don't even know if they are still available but if you can find one, you may find it interesting. Good luck.

Seeing what my friend did with her 18-55, I think you'd be fine with just a short zoom. Not sure how much you'd use a long lens.

Canon 16-35mm f4 L IS - very sharp ultrawide good for big foregrounds.

Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L mkii - very sharp general purpose lens

Canon 100-400 f4-5.6 L IS mkii - Sharp, versitile lens can be paired with a 1.4x tc to give a 560mm focal length. great for wildlife.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back