Canon Lens Link System...

gravity0

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok this is an odd question and I'm not sure where to find the information at...

How much weight can the Canon lens link system hold before breaking? Some of those lenses are just too heave to support obviously. Reason I ask is I just bought the 70-200mm 2.8 lens and am finding myself accidentally holding the camera and not the lens. :( I don't want to hurt anything. Over time I'll have trained myself but the lens is still new to me.

70-200mm f2.8 is not that heavy *you want heavy go have a hold of a 300mm f2.8* and I happily hold my camera whilst having that lens fitted - heck most times a telconverter is attached as well.
So long as your not throwing the gear around as you walk it should be ok.

70-200mm f2.8 is not that heavy *you want heavy go have a hold of a 300mm f2.8* and I happily hold my camera whilst having that lens fitted - heck most times a telconverter is attached as well.
So long as your not throwing the gear around as you walk it should be ok.

Twice the wieght. Wow.

So what is the advantage of having the focal lenth set? I would think it would be better to allow you to choose. 70-22mm per se'

It's generally considered that fixed focal length lenses (primes) have better IQ. This was certainly true in the past, but with modern zooms the difference is becoming less discernible. Primes still rule though.

I've always been told that you should hold the heavier of the two-- if the lens is heavier, hold it by the lens, etc. However, for something like the 70-200, you're not going to run into a huge problem if you find yourself holding it by the body.

--When you get past 200mm or so, you generally need to go to primes if you want to maintain a large aperture like f/2.8 or even f/4. There are exceptions but they tend to be enormous lenses.

Yes zooms like the sigma 200-500mm f2.8
Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd
are not light and certainly not cheap!

Further as many people who use these longer lenses are into things like wildlife, sports and airoplanes most times they don't need the shorter lengths and the lens would be a max extension for a greater amount of time.

I have even held onto my Canon body with my 600 f/4 IS hanging straight down.....not recommended, but it happens. I was carrying it with a lens mounted strap around my shoulder and got to talking with another photographer at the horse race and the strap started cutting into my shoulder pretty bad. Without thinking, I unshouldered the strap and held all that weight by the camera body. LOL Didn't hurt anything, but its something I wouldn't do on a regular basis. The 70-200 isn't too heavy. I did however try to carry the 70-200 by the lens when mounted on 400D (plastic build).

Most reactions

Back