Canon lens question

Dave127

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been reading a lot on the forum and need some advise on which lens to purchase. I'm looking to do wedding photography and currently have a 30D and 70-200 2.8 IS canon lens which I use for indoor sports photos. I will also be getting a second camera, but have been waiting to see what canon will be releasing to replace the 5D. I have 3 different lens I'm concidering and want to hear which you think would be the best choice.

17-55 F2.8 IS. I like the IS but am concerned the range isn't right.

24-105 F4 IS. A friend has it and likes it but I'm concerned the F4 won't be great fro the indoor shots. I do like the IS.

24-70 F2.8. I hear this is the standard for wedding photagraphy but it's lacking the IS. This has me concerned.

Thank you for your advise.

Dave

Would you consider something like the 50mm f/1.4?

Um... 24-70 f/2.8 is an issue because it lacks IS? You place way too much importance on a band aid.
If you shoot low light indoor sports, you should already know that IS isn't effective at freezing action...

If you find your needs are greatly met by the 70-200 f2.8 you probably get the 24-70 f2.8.

My experience with 24-70L and the 24-105L are both good depending on your needs.

Would you consider something like the 50mm f/1.4?

I have concidered it, but having the ability to zoom in or out is a key factor when trying to get an action/monment shot. If i was shoting portrats, the DOF would look great.

Um... 24-70 f/2.8 is an issue because it lacks IS? You place way too much importance on a band aid.
If you shoot low light indoor sports, you should already know that IS isn't effective at freezing action...

If you find your needs are greatly met by the 70-200 f2.8 you probably get the 24-70 f2.8.

My experience with 24-70L and the 24-105L are both good depending on your needs.

IS isn't always effective at freezing the action, but does help. I was all but sold on the 24-70, but I started reading all the threads here and saw the other good options.

I'm getting the 24-70 as my bread-and-butter lens. You'll be shooting with flash most of the time, so IS won't be much of an issue, but the DOF and the ability to take candid portraits makes the f2.8 pretty useful. If your shooting in natural light, your going to want fast primes anyways.

I also will be going for the 24-70mm f/1.4L lens (probably next summer). The lack of IS isn't a big deal to me at those focal lengths. I'm fairly good at holding the camera steady, anyway.

I also will be going for the 24-70mm f/1.4L lens (probably next summer). The lack of IS isn't a big deal to me at those focal lengths. I'm fairly good at holding the camera steady, anyway.

I want one! I know it was a typo, that lens would be enormous and prohibitively expensive.

I want one! I know it was a typo, that lens would be enormous and prohibitively expensive.

Not really. I have one. What you need to get one is a Dremel, some grinding bits, some flat thin aluminum to cut new longer aperture blades, some flat black paint and lots of time and patience.

Oh yeah, I forgot one thing. Plenty of money to buy a new 24-70 f2.8 and be happy with it, cause you screwed the last one up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love my 24-70 f2.8 and would not trade it for anything. The lack of IS on a lens like that is of little concern if you understand and practice good photographic technique.

if you plan on getting a 5D(full frame sensor), the 17-55 WON'T work..

Thank you for the reply's. I am leaning towards the 24-70 and have been sinse the begining, but wanted to hear others opinions that use the len's.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back