Canon lens question

sgirard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. Fairly new to photography and recently purchased a Canon EOS Rebel XS w/ the standard 18-55mm lens and more recently purchase a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lens. I am looking for a little bit longer zoom lense say in the far end of 1000mm zoom (for sports-from the stands)and also a decent wide angle lens for group photos. Any suggestions would be appreciated such as size or brands or even places to buy on the web. Thanks in advance.

Well 1000mm will set you back around 10K to 100K (depending on if you go for 800mm or 1200mm).

I think first we need an idea of the budget you are thinking of spending for this kind of work - however sports should be perfectly workable with a 300mm lens.

If you want to longer you have roughly these options:

1) cheaper zooms like the sigma 120-400mm or 150-500mm
(you won't really be adding teleconverters to these)
2) Midrange longer options - Canon 100-400mm L - 300mm f4 IS L - 400mm f5.6 L
(most of these, barring the zoom, can take a 1.4TC without much trouble for more range)
3) Top range options - 300mm f2.8 IS L - 400mm f2.8 L
(these latter options can take 1.4 and 2* teleconverters for more range)

A few other alternatives are on the market but a lot of it will depend on how much you are able to spend.

I think there are some super cheap Bower mirror ones on B&H. look like little telescopes. I would imagine their quality would be on par with the price though.

The problem with the super cheap lenses is that they tend to have small fixed apertures - like f8 - which seriously limits the lens since you need quite a lot of light plus even more for a fast shutter speed to use those lenses. Further their overall optical quality is poor.

I thought it was a typo at first, lol. But then I noticed he already had a 70-300, so I figured he's probably not talking about a 100mm...lol.

What sport are you shooting that you have to be that far away? (oops - didn't notice, 'from the stands'.)

Last edited:
Get this and use a 2x teleconverter!

Straight ballin yo! :lol:

juza_handholding_sigma_200-500_2-8.jpg

Most reactions

Back