Canon Lens Reqair Question

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by gryphonslair99, Dec 1, 2008.

1. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I need an opnion from those Canon users that have sent lenses in for repair to Canon. My 24-70 f2.8 developed a stutter in focusing, hunting in low light as well as good light. I have narrowned the problem down to the lens as I tested it on multiple bodies along with other lenses I own. Only the 24-70 has this problem on all bodies tested.

Here is my question. I have never had to send a lens or any other gear for that matter in to Canon for repair. Of course the lens is 5 months past it's warranty period. My dilemma is whether to send the lens to the repair center in Irvin, CA or to New Jersey. Any one with experience good or bad with either center please advise.

This is going to cost me so I would like to send it to the center that does the best work, if there is a difference. Thanks.

2. Pure

Pure TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Give me like a day and I'll talk to my friend. His dad runs a printing company that works with both companies, and he supposedly has his stuff cleaned free from Canon. I'll ask him where they send his equipment and I'll get back to you.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would think that any service center can make the same repairs or adjustments. I've read about plenty of people sending their stuff in for repair or calibration and nobody ever said that one location was better than another.

If there is something that the can't do in the facility that you send it to...it should be their responsibility to send it somewhere else or gets the parts back to them.

4. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've only dealt with the NJ facility and that was just once. They were fast (repairs were done the day after it was received), they kept me updated via email on progress (it's arrived, it's in evaluation, it's in repair, it's fixed, it's sent) as well as having a website I could go to and find out what was going on with the lens. It was gone all of a week. Mine was under warranty so all I had to do was pay for shipping there. They covered shipping back. Not sure how this would be handled out of warranty. Some of the best service I've received on anything ever, though.

5. Pure

Pure TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haha, so I called my friend and annoyed the hell out of him for the past 15 minutes, and he told me this:

"I'm pretty sure my dad has used both places, but he likes the NJ facility since it is closer. He also told me something about email updates or something like a phone call to update him. He really doesn't know, but he said the NJ facility is fast and his stuff is always spotless, and fixed [if it applies]."

6. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was almost tempted to change my entire previous post and start it out with "So this guy calls and annoys me for 15 minutes..."

7. Pure

Pure TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hahaha, would have been epic.

To be honest if you send to any OFFICIAL CANON repair facility for fixing/cleaning it'll come back fixed since they make the lens. Except if it is out of warranty, that sucks especially if something needs a major repair.