Canon Lens Your ideas please

Canon Mount Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM - $900 or so from some guy at Red Flag deals.
That's not to bad?

have it, love it, been a lifesaver. get this and a 1.4x teleconverter made by Sigma to complement it.

I might go ahead with the Canon Mount Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM soon, just waiting for the guy to get back to me now, and see if we can make a deal. Either this one or the Canon Ultrasonic EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM. Playing a few options here to get me started from what I have been reading and what you great people have said-:D
Also in the process of getting the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS-:)
Down below is what the guy at red flag deals has-:)

Canon Mount Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM

I bought this lens about 6 months ago.

The lens is in very good condition. It has had a UV filter on since day one and the only signs of wear are really on the bottom of the tripod mount and even that is not much. The lens comes with everything shown in the picture:

Case, caps, hood, and of course the lens itself. I no longer have the original box for the lens. The only negative i found about this lens is the included sigma lens cap is a piece of junk. I would rather do a face to face deal but i will consider shipping as long as its not to nigeria. My price is 900$ o.b.o, which is pretty good considering i bought it for 1300 and it hasn't been used very much at all. I am also selling the sigma exDG 1.4x tc for 165$, if you buy it with this lens i will sell everything for 975.

Lens can be seen here:
http://vancouver.craigslist.org/pho/355299511.html

Hey all,

After going to Niagara Falls and Marineland this week, I have decided that the 18-55 lens is not all that good-:)
Sooo, it looks like I might buy a Canon EF-S 17-55 from some guy on Red Flag deals for $1100--OUCH. Unless I find a cheaper one in the meantime. It comes with a hood and UV lens I believe, still waiting to hear back on a warrenty though.
I'll start with this lens for now, as you and others have givin it good reviews. I'll work my way up to a 70-200 as times goes on here.
I figure that with the cost of the camera itself 2 weeks ago, one new lens for now would be a better idea (save the MCard-LOL), and look into a 70-200 for X-mas present for me-LOL.

What do you think of this lens? Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
This one looks like a better version of the 75-300. Good for sports,etc.
There is a guy selling one for $500 shipped, no hood though.
Just read some more reviews on the 70-300, and although it is a better lens than the 75-300, it seems waiting and saving for the 70-200 is the idea-:)

You might be wise to follow Big Mikes advice. I have all of the Canon lenses he mentions. His assesment is quite accurate.

I can't bring myself to buy a 3rd party lens again. I've purchased a few well recommended Non-Canon lenses and was always disappointed. I just can't settle for "almost-as-good". I don't have enough time left to backtrack again.

You might take a look at the Canon 70-300IS USM which I just bought for my wife. she has sold a couple hundred dollars of prints from it in the last few weeks so I guess it is a "good" lens.

I for one intend to follow Big Mike's advice. He along with the rest of you have been nothing but helpful, and for that I am grateful.
I do plan on getting the Canon 17-55 and the 70-300 this week, if the guy ever gets back to me. Then I will follow up with the 70-200 when money isn't so low-:wink:
Big Mike has a ton of good information for me, and I hope the information I recieve I can pass on-:mrgreen:

By the way the 70-300 doesn't come with a hood--is that a big deal or can any Canon hood fit it?

Hey Elder, does your wife have a website?

i wont recommend the 75-300 because of its below average IQ. Go for the not so expensive 70-200F4L instead. THe build and image quality of this lens are some reasons why you should opt for a pricer zoom. But that is just me =)

i wont recommend the 75-300 because of its below average IQ. Go for the not so expensive 70-200F4L instead. THe build and image quality of this lens are some reasons why you should opt for a pricer zoom. But that is just me =)

Ya I would go for the 70-200 too. Have to wait until later I think-money talks.........Unless the lottery numbers are in-LOL
Oh and welcome to the forum-:)

Hey Elder, does your wife have a website?
If you pop up to our galleries, she has her own little space. We shoot together for events and I don't separate those out.

If you are looking for 70-300 shots...go here http://www.pbase.com/jpferguson/image/82770286

As to the hood, I am a firm believer in their use for all lenses. It is considered an accessory for the 70-200, which by the way is being called "a poor mans L"

I have the Canon 75-300 lens. Unless you are in very bright light (think direct sun) you'll want this on a tripod. It's slow. I paid $119 for mine when I knew nothing about lenses and now think I overpaid. On any length over 250 it's gets fuzzy. Bad fuzzy.

In the 75 - 200 range it's not bad provided you have good direct light...

Take the 17-55 and run...

Most reactions

Back