Canon lenses... need help with 50mm and 85mm

snarf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i want to get either the canon 50mm 1.2 or the 85mm. what are the benefits of both.. i only can afford one.. and dont think i have enough info to make a sound decision of which to get?

The 50mm F1.2 L and the 85mm F1.2 L are high end pro level lenses with amazingly large maximum apertures. I haven't heard much about the 50mm F1.2 yet but I've seen a few shots taken by the 80mm F1.2 and it looks amazingly sharp. These lenses can create extremely thin DOF as well. Of course, they are each very, very expensive.

Other than that...they are similar except for the focal length...which should be self explanatory.

There are less expensive options also, the 50mm F1.8, 50mm F1.4, 50mm F2.8 Macro and 85mm F1.8

Rather than comparing the two lenses... I'd first choose whether you need a 50mm focal length or 85mm. You really can't compare two primes of diffeent focal lengths. For portraits on a cropped sensor, I"d choose teh 50mm. For portaits on a full frame, i'd choose 85mm.

I personally would go with
* 50mm f1.4
* 85mm f1.8
* 135mm f2L
The cost of those three excellent primes is still slightly cheaper than either ONE of those f1.2L lenses... thats a lot to gain a stop or less.

but I do understand the attraction to an extremely fast lens and "playing" around the extremely shallow DOF. I do it all the time with an f/1 on another camera. If that is you intention, plan on getting a 3 stop or more ND filter to fit on the lens so you can also shoot at wide open in daylight.

the 85 f/1.2 is about the size of a large grapefruit or softball just so you know.

the 85 f/1.2 is about the size of a large grapefruit or softball just so you know.
The aperture is so big, to me it almost looks like a coffee mug :D

thanks for input .. i have the cropped sensor.. so I think you guys have walked me towards the 50mm.. although shooting thru a grapefruit does have its apeal points as well..

The aperture is so big, to me it almost looks like a coffee mug :D
:lmao: nah, it's ok for the lens to pour coffee on it, it's L glass!

Rather than comparing the two lenses... I'd first choose whether you need a 50mm focal length or 85mm. You really can't compare two primes of diffeent focal lengths. For portraits on a cropped sensor, I"d choose teh 50mm. For portaits on a full frame, i'd choose 85mm.

I personally would go with
* 50mm f1.4
* 85mm f1.8
* 135mm f2L
The cost of those three excellent primes is still slightly cheaper than either ONE of those f1.2L lenses... thats a lot to gain a stop or less.

but I do understand the attraction to an extremely fast lens and "playing" around the extremely shallow DOF. I do it all the time with an f/1 on another camera. If that is you intention, plan on getting a 3 stop or more ND filter to fit on the lens so you can also shoot at wide open in daylight.

I second that list above. Perhaps it is because it is what I own with the exception of adding the 100f2.8 macro. Exceedingly sharp prime as well as a 1:1 Macro.

What crop factor does the 400D got? 1.6? So if my camera ha sa cropped sensor i should fo with the 50mm instead of the 85mm because of the angle, right? But wouldnt that affect the sharpness?

What Mike said. Buy the three lenses for the price of one. I have two of the three, they serve me very well. Oh yea I use them on both types of sensor. 20D and 5D.

Wow that seems like alot for a prime lens seems like you could get a couple lenses for what you wanto pay for these or at least alot more range with a 2.8. But as far as wich one if you are going to get either I think the focal length is really up to your style of shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back