Canon: lightsensitive 17-70mm-ish lense on a budget

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Sievers, May 4, 2010.

1. Sievers

Sievers TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi guys

Im fairly new to the world of photography but have had plenty of fun with my Canon EOS 450D and the following two lenses:
    Canon 50mm/f1.4
    Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM

Only problem is that im not able to go below 50mm and I have thus begun searching for a more 'normal' everyday kind of lense. The requirements are that it should be fairly lightsensitive as I will often be using it for concerts in dark rooms. Also im thinking somewhere in the range of 17-70mm-ish but I am fairly open to ideas as long as it is able to reach somewhere in the vicinity of 17mm. Also my budget is somewhat limited.
    I have been looking at the Sigma 17-70mm/f2.8 lense and wanted to check my alternatives.

Thanks in advance!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

The Sigma 17-70mm is F2.8 at the wide end, but it's only F4 (or F4.5) at the long end.

A better choice might be the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 or the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, either of which can stay at F2.8 through the whole zoom range. They are both good quality lenses as well, and a good bargain at around $450.

The Canon equivalent (17-55mm F2.8 IS), is a slightly better lens, but costs around $1000.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well canon does have the 24mm f/1.4, and the 35mm f/1.4 that are shorter, and fast.

I think they also have a 28mm f/1.8 if the two above are too expensive.

4. Sievers

Sievers TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the advice guys!
    I think im going to look into the sigma and tamron options mentioned, as I want the lense to be able to zoom.

Appreciate it!