Canon: lightsensitive 17-70mm-ish lense on a budget

Sievers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys

Im fairly new to the world of photography but have had plenty of fun with my Canon EOS 450D and the following two lenses:
Canon 50mm/f1.4
Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM

Only problem is that im not able to go below 50mm and I have thus begun searching for a more 'normal' everyday kind of lense. The requirements are that it should be fairly lightsensitive as I will often be using it for concerts in dark rooms. Also im thinking somewhere in the range of 17-70mm-ish but I am fairly open to ideas as long as it is able to reach somewhere in the vicinity of 17mm. Also my budget is somewhat limited.
I have been looking at the Sigma 17-70mm/f2.8 lense and wanted to check my alternatives.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum.

The Sigma 17-70mm is F2.8 at the wide end, but it's only F4 (or F4.5) at the long end.

A better choice might be the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 or the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, either of which can stay at F2.8 through the whole zoom range. They are both good quality lenses as well, and a good bargain at around $450.

The Canon equivalent (17-55mm F2.8 IS), is a slightly better lens, but costs around $1000.

well canon does have the 24mm f/1.4, and the 35mm f/1.4 that are shorter, and fast.

I think they also have a 28mm f/1.8 if the two above are too expensive.

Thanks for the advice guys!
I think im going to look into the sigma and tamron options mentioned, as I want the lense to be able to zoom.

Appreciate it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back