Canon Newbie? Check out This Site.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by PhotoHeather, Mar 17, 2007.

1. PhotoHeather

PhotoHeather TPF Noob!

I had read the manual, scoured the web, posted threads, and still couldn't find a complete guide to the basics specific to a Canon DSLR... until I stumbed across this website from Canon. It covers the BASICS and nothing more. I had already pieced together most of this info from my research but would have loved to have found this a few months ago. Perhaps this website is well known... but I thought I would throw it out there to help another newbie who finds the manual a bit... strange.

Good Luck,

Heather

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

2. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    a great find, not only for canon users but anyone looking to learn more about DSLRs

3. Bequi

Bequi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi There,

I'm new to this world they call photography, keen to learn and take great shots. I am planning to go travelling later this year and I am getting to the point where Im starting to wonder what lens to take with me. I will be backpacking so ideally I want to take just one lens that will do the job. My main interest is photographing Flora/Fauna and landscapes. I have seen some wide range lenses on the market but I've read the these can lower the quality of the shots. Being a newbie Im open to recieving any advice regarding this and will be very greatful for it.

ManyThanks

Bequi

4. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    someone who has experience with these lenses will need to comment to give you a correct answer, but a 28-200mm lens should suit your needs, and depending exactly what you are taking pictures of, you could go even shorter (28-135). Normally the higher the zoom X the softer the picture is at full telephoto, but on some lenses this is negligable, and in many cases may be worth the ease of not having to switch lenses.

Canon and Sigma both make 28-200 lenses for your use, and canon makes a nice 28-135 IS (image stabilization) lens as well if you wanted smaller.