Canon or Nikon?

ant_m

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which is the best DSLR to go with? I'm looking at the 40d from Canon and the d80 from Nikon.

You have to get the Canon as everybody on this forum will tell you the Nikon is absolute garbage.....

I am a newbie to photography and even I know this is going to be a fun thread :).

The Nikon is the way to go, as the Canon is utter junk.

Don't get excited Nick Nolte just having some fun

seriously OP: go to your local camera store and try them out. pick them up. see which one fits your hands the best. see if the controls are in a comfortable spot for you. both brands are very good. it has been said on here before.....you aren't buying a camera......you are buying a system.

The Nikon is the way to go, as the Canon is utter junk.

Don't get excited Nick Nolte just having some fun

oh i know......i was too :mrgreen:

as soon as i seen this thread i thought......"oh this is gonna be fun "

and that's MR. NOLTE!!! :)

I originally had typed "Mr. Nolte" first but its too formal for the mug shot.;):D

I guess I wasn't being all that helpful either. Well, either choice is a good one. That's enough !

Don't forget olympus pentax sony panasonix samsung sigma casio vivitar yashica kodak fuji. Oh there is another one in mind called magxonn or magnon or whatever.

Anything else?

the d80 is nearly half the price of the 40d.

I've heard great things about the 40d.

Either one you get, if it's your first dSLR, you're probably not going to realize what features you're missing until a year or two after you get it.

Get a holga instead, I hear they are #1 camera in America and Japan!

Much sharper than anything nikon or canon can produce!

seriously, which camera feels better? to me, Canon was too small (XTI/XT vs D50) so i bought the nikon. Simple as that

nikon or canon. that's a question.

I assume you used the search function first to see what other threads already covered this topic.

The serious answer is that the current competition in the dSLR market means that there are absolutely fabulous cameras available for a price that is so low that it needs to be considered subsidized by the manufacturers.

Not sure where you live, I'm sure there's at least some kind of big box vendor near you where you can go and hold the models. It matters more how it feels in your hand than what certain specs say. Almost no one comes to the edge of those models' performance often enough to warrant buying them based off that info alone. Again, you need to hold them, and then you need to consider the fact that you're making a system investment.

Canon and Nikon are both excellent companies that are quite serious about photography, and offer something in every price class.

Canon and Nikon are the current market leaders, but do NOT underestimate Sony, Olympus or Pentax.

Sony bought the Konica and Minolta brands, and there are some fanstastic lenses available going back 20+ years (just like the other brands.) However, Sony actually manufacturs the sensors for Nikon - so expect Nikon to have to find an alternative source for sensors. In the mean time, Sony keeps introducing new models, and they're quite good. Olympus has created a fabulous system with the E510, which also accepts Leica lenses to it's open-standard mount system. Pentax would be my recommendation, they make incredible cameras with things like weather-proofing thrown in that Canon and Nikon don't even offer at the price-points you're considering. They also have fabulous lenses going back many years, and will be around for quite a while.

So my short answer: neither, go look at Pentax.

But all of this is meaningless. What matters is that you hold the camera, and see how you feel with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back