Canon or nikon

Sebastian 16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i am looking to buy my first dslr and i really like the canon rebel xti and nikon d60 but i dont know which is better.

There are THOUSANDS of threads on the internet about this... There is really no difference in image quality. Just use both cameras and buy which one you think is easier to use.

^^ ditto!
the only time you can really make a division is if one company produces lenses for your specific interests which the other either makes worse/more expensivly or not at all.
For example a lot of wildlife shooters go with canon because their longer focal range lenses are cheaper than the nikon range.

there are so many of these debates on this forum. Did you run a search on the forum and google the topic? Assuming you did so and are still puzzled, go to your local shop and pick them up and spend a little quality time with each one and decide which one feels best for you. I believe they are both entry level cameras and have similar feature sets. What kind of photography are you mainly interested in? I believe although similar cameras, they each excel in different types of photography so that may help decide. I should rephrase, nikon and canon excel in different types of photography. At the entry level theres not much of a difference, its when you move up in bodies and glass that you start noticing their differences so I guess if you plan on upgrading later, start out with that brand. Just some food for thought,

Nick

^^ ditto!
the only time you can really make a division is if one company produces lenses for your specific interests which the other either makes worse/more expensivly or not at all.
For example a lot of wildlife shooters go with canon because their longer focal range lenses are cheaper than the nikon range.

exactly..

thanks i decided to go with canon because it has cheaper long distance lenses since i will be doing wildlife

I like bunnies.

WElcome to chevy vs. ford, and prepare to duck in the incoming artillery barrage.

Canon vs Nikon is silly, but comparing specific models isn't.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...side&cameras=canon_eos400d,nikon_d60&show=all

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/page22.asp

Hmmmm, they look amazingly similar, as is usually the case with Nikon and Canon cameras in the same price bracket. The D60 has a few more options with some of the features, but most are pretty minor.

Pixel peeping the raw files the Canon looks a smidge sharper, and Nikon does better with the highlights. I doubt any of it would show in prints.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/page26.asp

At high ISOs I think the Canon wins by a hair. The chroma noise can be objectionable, but that's easy to fix.

In general it's hard to go wrong with either. Toss a coin, and start shooting. After using either for a year or so you'll really know what you are looking for in a camera.

The one way to find out is to walk into a store, and test out each one to death. The one that feels right ergonomically will be right for you. Usability is far more important than any kind of minor sharpness or MP differences. It doesn't matter what features your camera has if you find it so difficult to use that you're missing shots or wasting time fumbling around.

If you do decide to go for the Nikon, I would seriously consider ditching the D60 for the D40 and spending the money you saved on something that really matters unlike some minor extra features, e.g. filters, a tripod, a good but budget lens such as the AF-S 55-200 and AF-D 50mm f/1.8, solid camera bag, flashgun, etc etc.

Also,

Pixel peeping the raw files the Canon looks a smidge sharper

Probably irrelevant as there are so many factors that sway this such as lens and aperture settings.

I prefer the Nikon D60 because of its better handling, and you get access to the Nikkor lens family. The only downside of the D60 is lack of in-body AF motor.

Canon's pro level lenses are generally substantially cheaper in US prices than their Nikon counterparts. For example, the Nikon 24-70 is $400 more than the Canon, the Nikon 400 2.8 VR is 1,200 more than the Canon 400 2.8 IS.

Canon's pro level lenses are generally substantially cheaper in US prices than their Nikon counterparts.

This also holds true with the ever so famous and popular Nifty-50; 50mm f/1.8 prime lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back