Canon or Nikon

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by TimFraccolaPhoto, Feb 9, 2009.

1. TimFraccolaPhoto

TimFraccolaPhoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    All my teachers/internships have told me nikon whats the big difference between the two is canon just faster but less quaility?

2. LarryD

LarryD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Canon and Nikon dominate the world marketplace for professional still cameras.

Some prefer one, and some prefer the other... There is no possible way to prove the accuracy of such statements.

3. AdamBomb

AdamBomb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  4. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There isn't any difference in IQ (period). You mix up a stack of Nikon images with a stack of Canon images and you will be unable to distinguish between the two manufacturers.

CMOS sensors deliver the best IQ at elevated ISO's. All of Canon cameras come with a CMOS sensor ... only the most expensive Nikons come with a CMOS sensor (D90 and better).

Canon lenses tend to be a bit less expensive then similar/equal Nikon glass. Nikon is a lot more sexy looking.

Presently, both manufacturers deliver equally capable cameras with no significant difference between the two in IQ. (A few years ago Canon was clearly top dog but Nikon has completely closed the gap.)

Gary

5. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For any future Nikon vs Canon questions, I will direct people to Seefutlung's post!

6. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I went with Canon because it was first alphabetically

7. Captain IK

Captain IK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As I've said before...I went with Nikon because my brother uses Canon...and I don't like him!

8. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    See, I feel the exact opposite. I think the Nikon cameras look plasticy and cheap (shiny buttons and plastic looking red triangles). I think the Canon's look rock solid and heavy duty. I love a more subdued look (black buttons, I dislike chrome or shiny things).

I think the Nikkor lenses look bland, even the high end ones look like kit lenses to me. The Canon red rings and white bodies rock. They scream "high dollar". :)

That's why we have two to choose from, everyone has different tastes. I'm sure there are folks that think Canon looks funky.

As noted, if you're talking about quality of construction or IQ - they're evenly matched. It boils down to personal preference.

9. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I think Canon's look clunky and chubby ... like a sister. Nikon look bold and aerodynamically perfect ... like the professional dancer down the street ... the one that drives the Porsche.

But both Nikon and Canon look the same once the viewfinder reaches the eye (not literally).

Yes, with the camera bodies priced at $1,000+ ... it is all about personal preference. For camera bodies priced under $1,000 ... Canon's CMOS sensors are superior to Nikon's CCD sensors.

Gary

Gary

10. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That is as good a reason as any ... as good as "feel".

11. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't blame you ... had I known your brother shot Canon I would have went Nikon also.

12. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    People who have been around in photography for a long time (esp. teachers, whose opinions are often dated to whenever they were in college...) often favor Nikon because in the 70s and 80s Nikon was the camera of choice for professionals. However, with the advent of autofocus, Canon's choice to drop their manual focus mount and replace it with an all-new all electronic mount gave them a huge advantage over Nikon, whose position as market leader forced them to maintain support for the older lenses. A decade later, Canon's ability to build their own digital sensors gave them a major leg up in digital. In the last several years Nikon has closed the gap on both of those fronts, but arguments that they have somehow leapfrogged Canon are simply senseless.