Canon or Nikon?

mrshaleyberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I would really appreciate some input on this. I currently use a Nikon d60. This was my starter camera. I was looking into getting a D300, but then I started looking at canons.

I love my Nikon, but the D300 is a 12.3 MP when a Canon 7D is 18 MP. The price for a body is around the same. With Nikon are you basically paying this much for the name? Why are they the same price, when one has WAY higher MP? I don't get it. It's almost making me want to switch to Canon. Especially before I start buying a bunch of lenses to use with my Nikon.

What would some of you suggest?

Mega pixels aren't everything. And neither is brand name. Both Canon and Nikon's are good. Although, I feel that Nikon's have a lot of AF issues, as not all of their bodies have internal motors. That's the main reason I stayed away from them. Because in the event that I want to use auto focus, I want it to work with all of my lenses.

If you're planning on making giant prints of your photos, then having 18 MP would be of real help. Otherwise, 12 MP (be it the D300 or any other camera) would be more than enough. In addition, working with 18 MP files means the need for extra memory cards and hard drive space, and also slower Photoshop performance (depending on your computer, of course).

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either camera. I had a D300 and loved it (and would recommend it any day of the week), and I understand that the 7D is a hell of a camera as well.

That you stop paying attention to MPixels. MP's are more about max print size than anything. You actually run into the law of diminishing returns when you cram too many MP's on a sensor. You will start loosing resolution when your pixels get smaller and smaller. If you're happy with Nikon, stick with it. I shoot Canon and I'm heavily invested in Canon glass, so for me, a change would be expensive. Try handling both, and make the decision on how they feel in your hands. If you've invested some money in Nikon glass already, maybe best to stay where you are. Either are great cameras.

I am not familiar with the Nikon cameras. I own a 7D and went from a 20D to a 7D because I had already invested in the lenses and accesories. I wouldn't worry about the MP numbers. I think this is kind of a brainwash developed by the marketing people. I would worry more about the quality of the sensor and the noise levels at the higher iso settings.

You are basically buying into a system. So if you have a bunch of Nikon gear, I would stick with Nikon if you don't have any gear except the body and kit lens then now might be a good time to make a switch if that's what you decide to do.

I have heard that the 7D does a better job with the video than the d300. Again I don't have any experience with the Nikon stuff this is just what I have heard from the reviews.

I don't know if that helps but that is what I have come to learn over that last couple of months of research.

Although, I feel that Nikon's have a lot of AF issues, as not all of their bodies have internal motors. That's the main reason I stayed away from them. Because in the event that I want to use auto focus, I want it to work with all of my lenses.
The above would only apply to a handful of entry-level Nikon cameras. The D300 is a semi-professional camera that can autofocus (and meter) with virtually every Nikon lens ever made (except those ancient ones with "ears"), and also every third-party lens including those that don't have a built-in motor.

I've found that once you get into one boat, it's not really worth switching. As you upgrade bodies, you still have a ton of lenses and accessories that go along as you upgrade. If you jump ship, you have to try and unload all your gear. How much do you have invested in the Nikon side?

It has been said many times in the threads, it is not so much the camera, but the photographer. As for big prints, I posted a couple of weeks ago that my wife still uses a 6 year old Panasonic P&S. She has taken some amazing pictures and even though it is only a 6 MP camera, we have printed 16x20s and 20x30s with her captures.

(canon guy, btw).

It's a marketing strategy Canon uses to noobs because most consumers look at megapixels when shopping for a camera and automatically think the higher the megapixels, the better deal they are getting and the quality is going to be way better.

You would be much better off with Nikon, there's a reason Nikon has proven itself to be a better system than Canon over the past 3 years.

So I would really appreciate some input on this. I currently use a Nikon d60. This was my starter camera. I was looking into getting a D300, but then I started looking at canons.

I love my Nikon, but the D300 is a 12.3 MP when a Canon 7D is 18 MP. The price for a body is around the same. With Nikon are you basically paying this much for the name? Why are they the same price, when one has WAY higher MP? I don't get it. It's almost making me want to switch to Canon. Especially before I start buying a bunch of lenses to use with my Nikon.

The only thing I can say is that Canon started from scratch with autofocus cameras and lenses in the late 80s, whereas Nikon chose to maintain backward compatibility. Both approaches have consequences. Overall, though I own neither, (I use manual Leicaflex cameras, lenses, and film) I would lean toward Canon if I were starting from scratch for the reason that the whole system is more coherent, though both are currently rapidly evolving.

Last edited:
It's a marketing strategy Canon uses to noobs because most consumers look at megapixels when shopping for a camera and automatically think the higher the megapixels, the better deal they are getting and the quality is going to be way better.

This is not true, and your reasoning is flawed. :thumbdown:

I own the 7D, and I assure you the megapixels that it has are very real. Its not some gimmick or "a marketing strategy for noobs" as you put it.

I noticed a massive increase in resolution from my 30D. I can now crop way tighter and still maintain good resolution. This is all very real, trust me.

Its like saying that a Corvette has a big high horsepower V8 so "noobs will just look at the horsepower numbers" when shopping for a car.

Does a 7D not have the full 18 megapixels of resolution?

Does a Corvette not have a high performance V8?

Is the Nikon D3x 24 megapixels just "a marketing strategy for noobs" as well?

I like Nikon also, not only Canon.

I am not going to try to downplay what their cameras are, and what the company has accomplished like your doing with Canon.

You would be much better off with Nikon, there's a reason Nikon has proven itself to be a better system than Canon over the past 3 years.

Get over yourself.

Nikon has it's share of flaws whether you choose to recognize them or not. Want autofocus? Better have a Nikon body with an integrated motor.

I guess I could go test out a canon and see what it's like. I really do like nikon, but I talked to this photographer that uses a canon 7D and she said canon handles noise better? I don't know..I may just stick with getting my D300 and call it a deal. I have already invested some money in "glass" and like some of you have mentioned, it would get a little expensive switching everything to canon. Either way, both brands crank out some nice looking photos.

Generally speaking, better dynamic range, color sensitivity, high ISO performance.

All Nikon dSLRs (including the entry-level bodies) have color-aware metering while the only Canon dSLR's that do are the 7D and the 1D MKIV.

For the OP: DxOMark - Compare sensors

It's pretty much a toss-up, but you'll need to use Canon's pro glass to realize all the 7D has to offer, since it's one of the few dSLR's that have an image sensor that out generally resolves the glass available for it.

Oh and yes..I don't really like how nikon has the motor thing going on. If I would have known that the next step up from the D60 had a built in motor, I would have spent the extra money to get a D90..Instead I had to buy a 50mm lens for almost 500 dollars!

Most reactions

Back