Canon or Nikon?

Oh and yes..I don't really like how nikon has the motor thing going on. If I would have known that the next step up from the D60 had a built in motor, I would have spent the extra money to get a D90..Instead I had to buy a 50mm lens for almost 500 dollars!

This was what I was referring to, about the Canon system being designed from the ground-up as an autofocus system. The Nikon system has a sort of Jerry-rigged approach.

I guess I could go test out a canon and see what it's like. I really do like nikon, but I talked to this photographer that uses a canon 7D and she said canon handles noise better? I don't know..I may just stick with getting my D300 and call it a deal. I have already invested some money in "glass" and like some of you have mentioned, it would get a little expensive switching everything to canon. Either way, both brands crank out some nice looking photos.

If you have much money invested in Nikon glass I wouldn't switch.

The two companies are very close overall, that is a fact.

The proof is the endless "Nikon vs. Canon" threads like this one here. If it wasn't close it wouldnt be much of a debate.

Generally speaking, better dynamic range, color sensitivity, high ISO performance.

All Nikon dSLRs (including the entry-level bodies) have color-aware metering while the only Canon dSLR's that do are the 7D and the 1D MKIV.

For the OP: DxOMark - Compare sensors

It's pretty much a toss-up, but you'll need to use Canon's pro glass to realize all the 7D has to offer, since it's one of the few dSLR's that have an image sensor that out generally resolves the glass available for it.

I have to agree with this last part.

My 7d is very hungry for good glass, and so far I am feeding it pretty well. :mrgreen:

Don't buy beginner Nikon cameras like the D3000 or D5000 and expect to use dedicated, professional, prime lenses like the 85,105,135,180mm primes or the old-school wide-angle primes...if you want a NIKON, buy a NIKON, like a D90, D300s, D700, or D3s. Problem solved.

If you want more megapixels, Canon will deliver higher MP counts as long as consumers want higher MP counts. Even if it means that most of their consumer lenses are not up to the task of imaging to a smaller, higher-density sensor. The higher MP count of say the 7D verus the D300s doesn't really show up much,since the higher MP count sensor pushes the lens's recording farther down on the MTF curve of every lens you mount, so the 7D ends up with lower color saturation and lower contrast that lower-density sensor camera from Canon,Sony,and Nikon...

The full-frame sensor cameras are till going to out-perform the crop-body cameras at elevated ISO settings...Currently Cano has no mid-line action/sports camera that's Full Frame that can compete with the D700 or D3s for sports/PJ/low-light work...with Canon the 5D series is crappy AF and average light metering,no flash,no flash commander, and 3.9 FPS, but good video...Nikon has the D700 with pro AF, fast speed, and pro features like flash commander and built-in flash for triggering slaves...

Nikon has better ergonomics in terms of AF point navigation, better AUTO ISO (Canon STILL will not create an AUTO ISO system that allows people to use it like Nikon or Pentax) setup, and Nikon has on balance, better light metering in more cameras, as well as the same,dedicated shutter and aperture controls in different camera modes--Canon;s yo-yo back and forth,back and forth, so the aperture and shutter controls shift back and forth between the front wheel and the back wheel, willy-nilly. The cameras are very different,ergonomically.

Nikon has it's share of flaws whether you choose to recognize them or not. Want autofocus? Better have a Nikon body with an integrated motor.
So! None of Canon's cameras have a focus motor in them.
Canon screwed all their customers back in 1986 when they killed the FD mount in one fell swoop, and started only selling EOS (Electro Optical System) cameras without focus motors, and the EF-S lenses that have focus motors in them so Canon shooters can have AF.

The reason Nikon's least expensive cameras don't have focus motors is to make them small and compact, so they appeal to more women buyers.

Plus, the majority of Nikon lenses have focus motors in them (AF-S) and few entry level Nikon users aspire to the much more expensive mid-range AF lenses that require a focus motor in the body.

Here is the short list of lenses to choose from if you get a Nikon dSLR that doesn't have a focus motor in it:

NIKON

Wide-Angle
Mid-Range
Super-Zoom
Telephoto
Super-Telephoto
  • AF-S 200-400mm 1:4G VR IF-ED
  • AF-I 400mm 1:2.8D IF-ED
  • AF-S 400mm 1:2.8D IF-ED
  • AF-S 400mm 1:2.8D IF-ED II
  • AF-S 400mm 1:2.8G VR IF-ED
  • AF-I 500mm 1:4D IF-ED
  • AF-S 500mm 1:4D IF-ED
  • AF-S 500mm 1:4D IF-ED II
  • AF-S 500mm 1:4G VR IF-ED
  • AF-I 600mm 1:4D IF-ED
  • AF-S 600mm 1:4D IF-ED
  • AF-S 600mm 1:4D IF-ED II
  • AF-S 600mm 1:4G VR IF-ED
Macro
Teleconverter
  • AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III
  • AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II
  • AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II
  • AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E II
  • AF-I Teleconverter TC-14E
  • AF-I Teleconverter TC-20E
Nikon notes:
  1. ^ abcdef Will only mount original Nikon Nikkor AF-S and AF-I lenses (without modification). Not recommended for use with Nikkor DX lenses.
Sigma: 46 lenses

Fisheye
Wide-Angle
Mid-Range
Super-Zoom
  • 18-125mm 1:3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM
  • 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC
  • 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC OS
  • 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM
  • 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM
Telephoto
  • 50-150mm 1:2.8 APO EX DC HSM
  • 50-150mm 1:2.8 APO II EX DC HSM
  • 50-200mm 1:4-5.6 DC OS HSM
  • 55-200mm 1:4-5.6 DC HSM
  • 70-200mm 1:2.8 APO EX DG HSM MACRO
  • 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 DG
  • 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 DG MACRO "With Built-in Motor"
  • 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 DG APO Macro
  • 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 DG OS
  • 100-300mm 1:4 APO EX DG HSM
  • 120-300mm 1:2.8 APO EX DG HSM
  • 300mm 1:2.8 EX DG APO HSM
Super-Telephoto
  • 50-500mm 1:4-6.3 APO EX DG HSM
  • 80-400mm 1:4-5.6 EX OS
  • 80-400mm 1:4.5-5.6 EX DG APO OS
  • 120-400mm 1:4.5-5.6 DG OS APO HSM
  • 150-500mm 1:5-6.3 DG OS APO HSM
  • 300-800 1:5.6 APO EX DG HSM
  • 500mm 1:4.5 EX DG HSM APO
  • 800mm 1:5.6 EX DG APO
Macro
Teleconverter
  • TELE CONVERTER APO EX DG 1.4x
  • TELE CONVERTER APO EX DG 2.0x
Tamron: 14 lenses

Wide-Angle
  • 10-24mm 1:3.5-4.5 AF Di-II LD

Mid-Range
  • 17-50mm 1:2.8 SP AF XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF] (A16NII)
  • 17-50mm 1:2.8 SP AF XR Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF]
  • 28-75mm 1:2.8 SP AF XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)(A09NII)
Super-Zoom
  • 18-200mm AF XR Di-II (A14NII)
  • 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 AF Di-II LD Aspherical Macro NII
  • 18-270mm 1:3.5-6.3 AF Di-II VC LD Aspherical [IF] Macro
  • 28-300mm 1:3.5-6.3 AF XR Di VC
Telephoto
  • 70-200mm 1:2.8 AF Di LD MACRO
  • 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro (A17NII, with built-in motor)
Macro
  • 60mm 1:2 SP AF DiII LD (IF) Macro
  • 90mm 1:2.8 SP AF Di MACRO Model 272E
Teleconverter
  • Tamron SP Pro 1.4x
  • Tamron SP Pro 2x
Tokina: 1 lens

Wide Angle
  • 12-24 1:4 AT-X 124 PRO DX II
] Kenko: 9 lenses + 3 lens extension tubes

Teleconverter
  • Teleplus Pro 300 1.4x
  • Teleplus Pro 300 DG 1.4x
  • Teleplus Pro 300 2x
  • Teleplus Pro 300 DG 2x
  • Teleplus Pro 300 3x
  • Teleplus Pro 300 DG 3x
  • Teleplus MC4 AF DG 2x
  • Teleplus MC7 AF DG 2x
  • Teleplus K1.5 AF DG 1.5x
Lens extension tube
  • AUTO EXTENSION TUBE SET DG 12, 20 and 36mm
  • EXTENSION RING UNIPLUS TUBE DG 12
  • EXTENSION RING UNIPLUS TUBE DG 25

I don't know if anybody's pointed this out, I haven't read the thread, but if you're into sticking within the brand name, and are looking to shoot wildlife or anything requiring big glass, go with Canon. AFAIK, they have an 800 f/5.6, Nikon's biggest is a 600 f/4. Canon's long glass is also cheaper

So Keith, I guess what I am getting from your post is that:

1. You can copy from wikipedia (a worthwhile skill to have I suppose)
2. You can paste it in a thread (another fairly useful skill)

But what I've extracted from your post, is that you need a list to determine what lenses will autofocus on a Nikon... But any EF lens after 1987 will autofocus on a Canon.

Okay, got it. Thank you.

Don't buy beginner Nikon cameras like the D3000 or D5000 and expect to use dedicated, professional, prime lenses like the 85,105,135,180mm primes or the old-school wide-angle primes...if you want a NIKON, buy a NIKON, like a D90, D300s, D700, or D3s. Problem solved.

If you want more megapixels, Canon will deliver higher MP counts as long as consumers want higher MP counts. Even if it means that most of their consumer lenses are not up to the task of imaging to a smaller, higher-density sensor. The higher MP count of say the 7D verus the D300s doesn't really show up much,since the higher MP count sensor pushes the lens's recording farther down on the MTF curve of every lens you mount, so the 7D ends up with lower color saturation and lower contrast that lower-density sensor camera from Canon,Sony,and Nikon...

The full-frame sensor cameras are till going to out-perform the crop-body cameras at elevated ISO settings...Currently Cano has no mid-line action/sports camera that's Full Frame that can compete with the D700 or D3s for sports/PJ/low-light work...with Canon the 5D series is crappy AF and average light metering,no flash,no flash commander, and 3.9 FPS, but good video...Nikon has the D700 with pro AF, fast speed, and pro features like flash commander and built-in flash for triggering slaves...

Nikon has better ergonomics in terms of AF point navigation, better AUTO ISO (Canon STILL will not create an AUTO ISO system that allows people to use it like Nikon or Pentax) setup, and Nikon has on balance, better light metering in more cameras, as well as the same,dedicated shutter and aperture controls in different camera modes--Canon;s yo-yo back and forth,back and forth, so the aperture and shutter controls shift back and forth between the front wheel and the back wheel, willy-nilly. The cameras are very different,ergonomically.

That may be, but (and I am impartial here, since I use film and Leicaflex) the Canon system was designed from the ground up as autofocus. Digital may not have been even in their minds in 1988 or so, but the system is more coherent overall, at least for the upper end of the range. The problem is always going to be making pro gear and amateur gear...how much compatibility is needed? Overall, I'd say the Canon approach (throwing FD lens mount overboard) was a smart move for them. Nikon may have found it impossible to do, because at that time they were the top dogs among 35mm pro shooters such as PJ and sports workers. But, Canon's decision meant they ended up with a better system that soon dominated pro PJ and sports shooters. Look at any sporting event and you'll see predominantly Canon stuff. Nikon's decision cost them dearly. They were so afraid to dump the mounts and lenses and start from scratch....but it didn't matter in the long run, because Canon dumped them over in the marketplace.

Last edited:
Ok I think we are getting a bit sidetracked in this thread and putting far too much attention on camera bodies as well as historical changes.

Especially before I start buying a bunch of lenses to use with my Nikon.
My advice is to put the camera bodies to one side - you have a good camera body already; what you need is some glass - lenses. Good quality lenses will give you sharper far more improved technical qualities than upgrading your camera body will - no matter if its canon or nikon.

So my advice is to first sit down and work out your interest areas - the photographic areas and subjects that interest you = do you want to shoot horses - sports - wildlife - landscapes - portrait - street etc....
Once you have an idea of what interests you its time to start working around that starting point - to work out what lenses and other gear can best support those interest areas for yourself.

So my advice is to build upon your setup around your camera body - upgrade your glass to good grade and that can stick with you as you upgrade your camera body. Of course consider the canon line - its now that you can change if you want without too much cost.

But what I've extracted from your post, is that you need a list to determine what lenses will autofocus on a Nikon... But any EF lens after 1987 will autofocus on a Canon.

Okay, got it. Thank you.
I wonder if you even read the original post. The original poster is deciding between a 7D and a D300. What does the issue of autofocusing with entry-level cameras have to do with any of this? How are you helping the OP?

Ok I think we are getting a bit sidetracked in this thread and putting far too much attention on camera bodies as well as historical changes.

Especially before I start buying a bunch of lenses to use with my Nikon.
My advice is to put the camera bodies to one side - you have a good camera body already; what you need is some glass - lenses. Good quality lenses will give you sharper far more improved technical qualities than upgrading your camera body will - no matter if its canon or nikon.

So my advice is to first sit down and work out your interest areas - the photographic areas and subjects that interest you = do you want to shoot horses - sports - wildlife - landscapes - portrait - street etc....
Once you have an idea of what interests you its time to start working around that starting point - to work out what lenses and other gear can best support those interest areas for yourself.

So my advice is to build upon your setup around your camera body - upgrade your glass to good grade and that can stick with you as you upgrade your camera body. Of course consider the canon line - its now that you can change if you want without too much cost.

If you're going to switch, the sooner the better.

Exactly but first the OP has to work out their needs based on their interests - otherwise dividing between lenses even within the same brand *let alone between two or more brands* is simply comparing random data.
Context is needed first - then research and then choice.

Okay, got it. Thank you.
I wonder if you even read the original post. The original poster is deciding between a 7D and a D300. What does the issue of autofocusing with entry-level cameras have to do with any of this? How are you helping the OP?

Post #2. My post. I said "hey guess what, brand names aren't everything and neither is MP count" (paraphrased). That was pretty straightforward and helpful. It's true too, brand name and megapixels are not really that big of a deal. Unless you're buying one of those new Holga digital backs for a hassy... I hear they just can't keep the light out!

I then looked at your post, and realized: You know what, you don't even need a high MP count to produce large high quality prints. Products like Photozoom use the S-Spline algorithm can enlarge small MP count images to poster size very easily.

So in short, bite me.

Exactly but first the OP has to work out their needs based on their interests - otherwise dividing between lenses even within the same brand *let alone between two or more brands* is simply comparing random data.
Context is needed first - then research and then choice.

I did use Nikon back in the early 70s, for a while, before I could afford to get any Leicaflex stuff...never cared for Nikon's ergonomics.

As I said, I'm impartial here...but I would go with Canon (the bigger ones, though). Nikon has too many idiosyncrasies because of their reluctance to change mounts.

Most reactions

Back