Canon or Sony

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by TJ K, Sep 13, 2008.

1. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I'm thinking of the canon xti kit or something like that or the Sony a300x w/ 2 lense kit for my first camera. Which do you think is better and I will mostly be doing landscape like nature in the mountains and things like that but also some everyday stuff. Thanks.

2. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Go with the Canon. They've been doing this for so long they've built some credibility. Sony, frankly, hasn't. Not to knock on Sony. I mean, I wouldn't buy a Canon TV probably, either.

3. Joe S

Joe S TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the question should be Canon or Nikon, Sony is not a major player in this game at this point.

4. 8power

8power TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you want zeiss/leica qualities of micro-contrast and color rendition go with the sony a-mount, ignoring the kit lens and buy some minolta glass.

minolta did manufacture lenses for leica in the past. saying that the adopting parent: sony have no credibility is absolute nonsense.

Sony aquired (and 'are', now) Konica Minolta's camera body business lock,stock and barrel, just a re-badge, in effect. KM had decades of experience in this field.

The alpha bodies are 100% blood-relatives of the alpha/dynax/maxxum SLR evolution.

The minolta 9xi was more advanced in design and spec than any comparable canon/nikon camera. The Nikon F3 was in a class of it's own because its solid construction and attention to precision components, not because of its photographic spec.

KMinolta/Zeiss/Leica lenses produce pictures that have an amazing 3-D, real-life quality to them.

Unless you've used them, you can't diss them.

5. Photo Phil

Photo Phil TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Personally I like My Sony, I cant complain. It just feels right, its not to light but i has a weight to it that I like. I never played with a Nikon or Canon so i'm not going to knock them. But I believe they are both very good cameras I bought a Sony a200 because the price was right for me. As I keep reading I think that I did wrong and probably should of bought a Nikon or Canon. But that statement just made change my mind that i did a good job in purchasing the Sony. Thanks

6. Breathtakingly uninformed. Sony is the rebranded Konica and Minolta companies, they know a LOT about lenses and camera bodies. Also, Sony makes the sensors for Nikon and a few other companies - they know a LOT about every part of camera manufacturing.

Yet.

Decide on a camera based on how it feels when you hold it, and what kind of lenses are available. In your case, get a feeling for the wide-angles, because when shooting landscapes you want to capture as much as possible.

7. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think I have a blender that was purchased was purchased from a rebranded company, of whose former brand was top-notch. The blender just broke. Companies have lots of reasons for rebranding and an awful lot can change in the process. I don't know much about Sony, but I do know that Canon's been doing it since the 30's and Nikon even before that (although, admittedly Nikon didn't formally adopt their name until the 80's). But regardless, Sony might be a great camera maker with a lot of history, but it strikes me that there's a reason Canon and Nikon dominate the market, even among professionals. It's going to take some proving on Sony's part before I believe they're actually producing a worthy contendor.

I stick to my guns. It's just a safer bet to stick to Nikon or Canon.

8. chizuck

chizuck TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would look for reviews and pictures taken with each and see what catches your eye. I have a Olympus E-510 and really like it but I have not played with the others much. I really come down to what you like and fits you best.

Hope this helps
    chuck

9. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Is the Sony camera a good camera? Personally I think so. Is the XTi is a good camera? I think so too.

What about pictures that come out from those cameras? Most of the time, they all looks good if the person behind the camera knows what he/she is doing.

I really think most of the entry level camera are pretty decent. What make one camera better than the others? The answer will be different from user to user.

Myself, at this moment, I will still choose the XTi over the Sony (I got my XTi back about 6 months ago) because I found that it is more popular and because of that, more third party companies make stuff for it. If you want to get a non-OEM battery grip, I have more choices to choose from. If I want to get a good quality non-oem lens, I have more choices to choose from ..........

However, it doesn't mean it will stay the same 5 years from today. It is all market driven. You never know how well Sony will market their camera systems.

What about the oem lens support? At this point, I think Canon do have its advantage over Sony. But it is only matter if you want to do more with your camera.

10. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So if I get an xti what is a good lense I can get for a decent price that is good for landscape and maybe some regular stuff too. Thanks I am definately leaning towards the canon now but how are Nikons I just have always liked canon more.

11. Amber_Cullen

Amber_Cullen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I say the canon as well, whenever I upgrade I'm going for an xti, its a great camera :)

As for a lens I have no clue, hopefully someone will be able to help :)

12. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

What is your budgets on the camera and lens? Typically, the kit lens that come with the camera will do a good job. However, the lens that come with the XTi is not as good as the others such as the one come with Canon XSI/XS in terms of optical quality.

As for the Nikons, they are also very good as well. I do not own Nikon camera, all I know is model such as D40, D40x or D60 do not have an internal focus drive motor. And because of that some of the good lens from Nikon (i.e. 50mm f/1.8) cannot be autofocus with those camera. However, it can autofocus with AF-S and AF-I lenses. (or lenses from 3rd parties that have build-in focus motors)