Canon point and shoot beginner

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017 to all. Wish you good luck and success in all your endeavors. Last night experimented with shutter priority mode...New Year eve fireworks in Adelaide. I was in awkward position to take good pics with so much crowd at the bridge.View attachment 132460View attachment 132461View attachment 132462View attachment 132463

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
Tripod

Sent from my XT1254 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

No still with hand :)

I know.lol. did you see the link I tagged you in, where I shot super low light using a tripod?

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017 to all. Wish you good luck and success in all your endeavors. Last night experimented with shutter priority mode...New Year eve fireworks in Adelaide. I was in awkward position to take good pics with so much crowd at the bridge.View attachment 132460View attachment 132461View attachment 132462View attachment 132463

Tripod

I know.lol. did you see the link I tagged you in, where I shot super low light using a tripod?

Yes i did...good info, the B&W photos right?

Tripod

Yes i did...good info, the B&W photos right?

Yes

I have taken below photo this afternoon...I was may be 150 meters away from the subject. The first photo was taken in aperture priority 3.5 the maximum my camera allowed. The second phot was in portrait mode. First photo has the more clear color the rust compared to second photo. What more should have done to enhance the quality of the subject? I know my camera is point and shoot may be less capabilities.
FA2813AC-732E-40F8-B10D-BE8CE580ADD1.jpg

The second image seems to "suffer" from lens flare - the sun entering the lens from an angle. The first one doesn´t. I assume that´s why the contrast in the first is better.
Regarding the aperture priority - is there a reason, why you set aperture to f3.5? Usually you would do that to separate an object from the background (blur the background), or when you don´t have enough light to prevent camera shake.
If you don´t need that, you´d better use a larger number, because at larger f-stops, the image quality in general increases (more sharpness, less vignetting,...). Image quality usually is best at around f8 to f11 before it decreases again.

I'm really happy your experimenting with the modes in your camera, that's how you learn the exposure triangle.

These could be shot hand held but program auto would have been fine here. I use the program auto the majority of the time on my Canon P & S and we have similar camera's. Canon really does a good job in this mode with evaluative metering. Then all you need to do is bump your EC down to -1 or -2 or somewhere in between to dim the bright highlights (you can see in the histogram in camera).

I see some camera shake from the digital zoom portion of the lens. Like I have mentioned, you are not going to get sharp shots without a tripod, no matter what mode your in, with the lens going into the digital zoom area as it's impossible to stabilize. You need to set, clamp, or tripod the camera on something. You will be amazed at the difference.

With a small-sensor digicam at 150 meters...I can see the movement of the car in the background...I cannot see any EXF information, but the blurring of the car at such a distance makes me thing the shutter speed is just a bit too slow. The second image? Looks to me like a teeny-tiny bit of image blurring. Not a lot, but the signs of it. Or, the limitaiton of the lens at that distance and setting. Looks like, as JC says, signs of camera shake in photo #2.

AGAIN...I have used your camera, and at long ranges the lens is a SUPER-TELE in length...the camera absolutely MUST be steady. it's a difficult camera to shoot, in my experience, at the longer zoom settings. it's a light-wright, small camera, and very hard to stabilize hand-held at long zoom.

In love the Zoom on sx720 as said by Derrel it's incredible. I shot the below photo from very far other side of the park.

JC - I am still using hand :) I am buying tripod this week will post more pics :)) for comments.
IMG_5096.JPG

Still a bit soft and the highlights are blown. It would be great to see some detail on the birds' feathers. If you can spot meter for a brighter part of the scene you will get a faster shutter speed. You might have deeper shadows, but I think this is better than completely blown out birds...

In love the Zoom on sx720 as said by Derrel it's incredible. I shot the below photo from very far other side of the park.

JC - I am still using hand :) I am buying tripod this week will post more pics :)) for comments.
View attachment 132674

Missed focus by camera shake, blown highlights caused from extreme sun on a white subject. Not sure your mode. I would have started with getting exposure dialed in, then crank the EC down to -2 stops to start but probably looking at -3. Not an easy shot for a beginner let alone experienced. Also good to shoot scenes like this in raw to give you more latitude in adjusting the highlights. At quick glance, I would have probably been at f/8 (max for my P & S), 1000s, ISO 100, any metering, sunny WB, -3 EC.

When you shoot hand held, keep arms tucked in, touching chest, focus (half way on shutter), exhale, gently squeeze to complete shutter.

I suffer from bad hand tremors (head injuries, concussions) and I had to practice a lot. I printed out a focus target on photo paper and practised for a good month, every day for about an hour. Also used the tripod to compare hit and miss rates. Pretty revealing and helped me a great deal with manual film cameras with no stabilizer.

Last edited:

View attachment 132674

Missed focus by camera shake, blown highlights caused from extreme sun on a white subject. Not sure your mode. I would have started with getting exposure dialed in, then crank the EC down to -2 stops to start but probably looking at -3. Not an easy shot for a beginner let alone experienced. Also good to shoot scenes like this in raw to give you more latitude in adjusting the highlights. At quick glance, I would have probably been at f/8 (max for my P & S), 1000s, ISO 100, any metering, sunny WB, -3 EC.

When you shoot hand held, keep arms tucked in, touching chest, focus (half way on shutter), exhale, gently squeeze to complete shutter.

I suffer from bad hand tremors (head injuries, concussions) and I had to practice a lot. I printed out a focus target on photo paper and practised for a good month, every day for about an hour. Also used the tripod to compare hit and miss rates. Pretty revealing and helped me a great deal with manual film cameras with no stabilizer.

Thank you guys...I will keep practicing. I appreciate your time in providing the feedback, looking forward for more. Cheers

Took these photos this morning...it was bit cloudy, not sure what bird it is may be a parrot! Still using hand, they might be bit shaky. I am getting my Tripod delivered tomorrow, excited[emoji4]
6243765632_IMG_0625.JPG
6243765632_IMG_0626.JPG

That's a Galah. One of the most clever birds in the world. Very common in Australia and because of his smartness rather popular as a pet in other parts of the world.
I love parrots and cockatoos, thanks for posting. Looking forward to more ;).
You need to work a little on your composition, both of them have a little too much headroom, while their leg and tails are cropped. You can sure crop to get the closest possible view, but don't leave too much room above the head.
And: be patient and wait for a better pose. Sure the bird may fly away, but sice you had your snapshots, you could then go for the special shots (maybe you did and it flew away, stupid me :D).

That's a Galah. One of the most clever birds in the world. Very common in Australia and because of his smartness rather popular as a pet in other parts of the world.
I love parrots and cockatoos, thanks for posting. Looking forward to more ;).
You need to work a little on your composition, both of them have a little too much headroom, while their leg and tails are cropped. You can sure crop to get the closest possible view, but don't leave too much room above the head.
And: be patient and wait for a better pose. Sure the bird may fly away, but sice you had your snapshots, you could then go for the special shots (maybe you did and it flew away, stupid me :D).

Thanks for your advise photo1x1.com, appreciate it. I will follow them next time, yes I had few shots today like that bird flew away by the time I clicked the shot...lol[emoji3]

Most reactions

Back