Canon Powershot S1

Garrity828

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is the Canon Powershot S1 a camera worth buying? I hope to take close ups of animals and landscaping shots. Will this camera be able to take pictures like the very high quality ones I see on this forum? What type of lens would I be able to add to this?

I'm capable of buying this camera for $150 off craigslist. Should I just wait for a chance to buy a Nikon D Series or similar camera, or are the Powershot and D Series similar?

is the S1 the S1IS or am i confused with my models?

I had the powershot S3IS and it was great took some very nice pictures with it too.

The S3IS was great for a while but I felt restricted and am so glad I decided to upgrade a DSLR.

One of the things to remember with the S1IS is it was the first of the series so as they release new versions they improve upon them-they are up to version 5 the S5IS, these cameras dont handle to well in low light-pictures become grainy if you turn your ISO up, so you need to make sure you know how to adjust that.

I took this with my S3IS and attached wide angle lens. It was a great camera and I liked being able to buy cheap accesories, but it is nothing like my new DSLR.

When you talk about the nikom D series are you talking about DSLR's? if you are then the equivalent in canon would be the rebel series. (I think)

A Picture of the london eye taken with s3is

1363045730_f9045cef40.jpg

1363874834_0fd48200bf.jpg

1459999851_5f0f3be2fa.jpg

and my other S3 pictures are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13280111@N06/tags/canons3is/

I have an S1 IS. It's a really great little 3mp digital psuedo-slr. I would not buy one secondhand as you an get newer models for about the same price.

ok anything that is folllowed my 35mm or SLR )single lens reflex) is going to be a film camera. I think in your price range you are really looking at an advanced point and shoot digital camera, this wont get you as good as the results on here when users use a DSL R(digital single lens reflex)

The sensors on DSLR's are much better than on regular point and shoot camera's as well as you have to change out lenses-giving you more freedom.

When it comes to scams, the only true way to make sure it isnt a scam is to meet the person and look at the camera, or to buy from a reputable dealer, if your buying on line use resellersratings.com to check out how stores perform.

If you are in Canada or the US two great stores that I can recomend are Adorama.com and B&H.com both of these sites have used departments.

The Used Department in b&h seems to have lots of nice cameras

Whn your looking for a camera, if you want one that you will learn on and you dont want to spend alot of money go with an advanced point and shoot, the Kodac easyshare dx7590 for example is $149, they tell you the condition of it and the specifications, look for one that has manual and custom controls so you have more freedom. -I have never used that camera so showing it to you is an example-If you look on amazon you can most likely find reviews, and if you look on flikr you should be able to find example pictures.

Is a Nikon D40 with lens and filter for $400 a good deal? What about a Canon Rebel 300D with lens for $300? How do those 2 cameras stack up against eachother?

Garrity, how about you tell us your budget and then maybe someone can help you out. What do you plan on taking pictures of. (Landscape, family/group, portraits, sports, wildlife, etc...)

I'm looking for a camera that can take wildlife and landscape pictures. My price range is used for $400 or less.

hmm...400 rules out a lot of SLR options but keeps you within the advanced SLR category. Powershot G9 you could probably get around 400.

Can you go over that budget at all?

Most reactions

Back