Canon Powershot S2 IS Lenses

Rich-D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all! I have been playing around with my Canon S2 IS camera, and came to find it is more capable then it previously lead on to be. Thus, I am looking for new lenses for it! However, due to my lack of current knowledge of camera's and such I need help finding some decent ones. I am looking for a nice Macro lens, but am not sure what kind to get, and/or if I need a conversion kit for it also. If someone could help me out then that would be great! I just learned that the S2 IS has a Macro setting on it, but it isn't too great, so that is why I am looking for a new lens.

Many thanks for future help!

Edit: Possibly a manual focus lens, as well? Auto focus is such a drag. :I

I'm pretty sure that you cannot remove the lens from the body on that camera. I had an IS S3 and you couldnt take the lens off

I don't mean take off the original lens. I mean to attach one onto it. There are things on the end of the original lens that lets you attach another thing onto it. Not sure about a whole different lens, but something like the 58mm Close Up lens shown in the second link given by Crosby. Also, would that lens help the Macro mode at all? Are there even lenses to help this camera in anyway, or is it just a camera for the family?

Thanks for the help so far.

Edit: Such lenses as in the following link: http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/order_S2_1.html
There is a macro lens that you can clip onto those adapters (which clip onto the main lens).

Are there even lenses to help this camera in anyway, or is it just a camera for the family?
I've been using a S3 IS for about a year. There really aren't any lenses, they're more like converters. Screw on for tele-photo, screw off for..everything else, atleast in my case.

Hi Rich,

I have the S2 as well. The actual lens does not come off of the front of the camera. There is a button you can push to remove the outer "ring", but the lens stays put. While I've never used any of the accessories for this camera I don't know that they would be worth the expense. Looks like you would have to purchase the adaptor/hood ($40.00) and a lens: Teleconverter ($150.00) and/or the Close up ($130.00). Add that all up and you've spent $320.00 + tax/shipping on accessories for a camera you can now buy for less than on of the lenses. (EDIT) I just saw the link that you posted. Looks like the tele lens works okay, but I'm still not sure I'd spend the money on it.

IMO, save your money for a good dSLR (I'm heading my own advice here, too). Who knows how well these accessories work or not? Just keep practising with the M/Tv/Av modes and learning about good exposure. It'll be worth it in the end.

-JT

Ya. Those screw on "Lenses" are pretty much crap. Pluss there heavy and bring down the "compactness" of the camera. I'd say just start saving up for a DSLR.

Thanks everyone. Your advice has helped me a lot. I will just keep saving for the D40. ^_^

Most reactions

Back