Canon prime lens advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyUSA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Want to try out a good prime lens but not sure which to pick and really want to get good supper sharp pictures, budget about $800. The 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM ($850) was on my list before. Mostly for family Theme parks weekend. Please advise.

Last edited:
The 100f2.8 and 200f2.8 are both super sharp and good values. If they are to narrow F.O.VERY. for your needs, consider the 85f1.8.

The 135, f2.0 is also a good lens.

Within a couple of years after moving up to a DSLR, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to be more oriented towards zoom lenses or primes. So I did both. After about a year using 4 zooms & 3 primes, I settled on 3 zooms and 1 prime...the 135 f2L. The results from the 135 are always sharp and have a fantastic bokeh as well. I had to 'train myself' to not shoot at f2 all the time, especially with only 1-2 people as the subject.

But the 135, like all lenses, have a sometimes too-narrow field of view (aka, angle of view) when used on a crop-sensor camera like your 50D and future 7Dii. Simply put, when used for small groups of people, one has to be further away than may be desirable. Or for theme park weekends, you may find it not 'workable' as you won't be able to get some of the surrounding rides/color/people into the frame.

For what it's worth, I finally got the time to take pictures of the small carnival that comes to the suburb I live in every year. I prefer no-flash photography and wanted to do the carnival at night. My lens of choice was the 24-105 f4L. Small enough to not 'get in the way' (compared to your 70-200) and a focal range that allowed both wide enough or telephoto enough in just about every situation. It's basically a 'jack of all trades' and master of none. As I didn't want to carry a 2nd lens with me while walking in fairly 'tight' crowded spaces, the 24-105 was a no-brainer. Being limited to f4, though, did pose a number of challenges, even with my 5Diii.

My favorite prime lens is the nifty 50 f1.2

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used all the primes and the only ones that I consider sharp (like really sharp) are the 100 macro and the 135.

Those don't seem practical for taking photos at a theme park. I would think 35 or 50 for that type of walking around - unless you're talking about taking photos of kids on roller coasters. Can you be more specific of what you're planning on doing with it?

I'd go with the 50mm or 85mm both are great lenses

Sample photos
With $800 the OP can afford one of the above mentioned top line L lenses instead of a mid grade lens like the 50 or 85. The 50mm f1.2 isn't worth buying and is out of the OP's range and the 85 f1.2 while an outstanding lens is also out of the OP's range.

Sigma 50mm Art. I've had a love/hate relationship with mine because it's required extra attention with the USB dock (about once a year I'll dial it in again) to keep it focusing accurately, but even with that slight intermittent annoyance it remains in my bag. Fits in your budget if you shop around.

I've got that 100mm F2.8L macro and I love it, but I wouldn't use it for pictures of people in places, just pictures of people where the "place" is less important. You may get a piece of a balloon or a random kid eating a snow cone in the background, but with a 50mm you may get a whole clown or section of a roller coaster cart in there, too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back