Canon RAW file archiving help

burstintoflame81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have several questions.

1) I am shooting in strictly RAW format. When I open the pics in Digital Photo Professional supplied on the Canon disc and right click the pics-properties. I can see the Meta data, but it will not let me type in the info. How do I tag these RAW photos?

2) Is there any software that can view Canon RAW files in thumbnail form when opening the file folders? Its annoying to have to sift through all of the shots I just took to find the specific one that I need to open, by opening each pic 1 by 1.

3) Should I keep all of my pics in raw format and save the edited pics in TIF and keep seperate?

Thanks for all of the help guys. I am a total NOOB.

UPDATE: I downloaded Canon's codec to view the thumbnails. I should have looked this up prior to posting. This was a fairly simple fix. Now I just have to decide on Archiving. I am assuming I have to save in TIF to add MetaData. I have Corel Paintshop. Maybe I can archive with that? Or maybe I should use a third program? I want something that can search all MetaData keywords in a folder and all subfolders. Is this pretty common?

Lightroom does everythng you want. And works better (and can do more) than DPP too.

(I thought DPP could do that too... Maybe not - it's been a while since I've used it.)

Most reactions

Back