Canon Rebel in high dust / sandstorm?

thomash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm going to the Burning Man festival in Nevada next September. Apparently there's loads of dust and Sandstorms.
I would really like to take my Canon Rebel. But how do I protect it from all this dust and sand?

Thomas

Ideally it would be nice to have an EOS 1# or EOS 3...those top end cameras have good weather seals to keep out stuff like sand & dirt...same with the top level 'L' lenses...The Rebels & consumer lenses don't much/any weather proofing.

I would be more concerned about getting sand into the lens than the camera. The camera is probably easier to clean.

You could cover the camera in plastic. A bag or shower cap around the camera with the opening taped around the front of the lens. You might need to cut a small hole for the viewfinder. I would use a UV filter on the front of the lens as well.

If shooting film...be especially careful when changing film. Get 36 exp rolls so that you don't have to change it as often.

If you are using consumer grade lenses then I would choose one lens for all around use and not take it off to avoid getting dust on the sensor. I don't know how fine the dust is in that particular desert but in Kuwait and Iraq, esp. Kuwait, the dust is fine and pervasive. And if you get caught in a no-sh*t sandstorm, you and your gear are going to get sandblasted. Look out for your laptop too, if you take one.

Most reactions

Back