Canon Rebel T1i, XSi or Nikon D60?

Actually, I'd go for the middle one.

The XSi/450D.

Several reasons... the 500D/T1i is not really worth the extra money unless you're dying to have video; still, at 1080p it only does 20fps, so then again...

The D60 doesn't have a focusing motor built in, and should really be compared to the XS/1000D. The 450D compares to the D90 - which, if you can afford, is the one to get - although there's a new D5000: but like the 500D, it's not really worth it.

Noise handling in the 450D is better, as is raw and JPG quality (refer to DPreview's review on 500D).

Sorry But I don't think the 450D comes close to the D90, even the T1i is very hard to compare to the D90. I would say the 50D or 40D is more comparable to the D90.

well I just got my XTi from www.rebelxtionline.com , so if you deside to go with the xsi I would recommend going to this site as well, they had some great deals on the SXi including package deals.

I bought the T1i because in ANY review i read it was better then new Nikon D5000 and was comparable and even superior to the D90 in some cases... I love the T1i!

I "tested" the D90 earlier today and that thing is beautiful. I swear it was love at first sight. Too bad I can't afford it, that sh*t was $1,000 WITHOUT the lenses/kit.

Try to find a D80, granted the high ISO performance isn't as good but it feels the same as a D90 and much less expensive.

I've have a D70, D100, and have had a D60 for a year. The D60 gives me better pictures than my other two Nikons.

I've been a professional for over 5 years, and I have numerous lenses. My favorites are the Nikor 18-200 VR, the Sigma 105 Macro--which I do have to focus manually, and my favorite the Sigma 150-500 OS-DG-HSM telephoto. HSM means it has a motor in the lens--and there are many Sigma HSMs for Nikon that have this and are great.

I've never had trouble with the AF on the D60. The Nikor and Sigma lenses give me excellent results. I do all kinds of photography--from portrait, product, reunions, model, pets, to wildlife and anything in-between.

The D60 has (among other things) active D lighting, and an auto cleaning system--which is awesome btw, since I haven't had to clean the sensor in the year that I've had it and had to clean the sensors often in my other two Nikons. Also my son has the D300 and is currently having problems with dirt on the sensor that he can't blow out and has to scrub.

Many pro photographers like the D60 because it is the lightest weight Nikon and easier to use for field work than the heavier metal-bodied ones, so they will leave the heavier cameras for their studio work. However, I do use a monopod with my Sigma 150-500 on the D60 since this lens is pretty long and heavy.

Just my experiences with the D60.

Last edited:
First of all, I would like to disclose that I am a total amateur. I am a tech geek however, and try to stay on top of technology as much as I can, even in the photography field.

Anyway, I've owned a D60 with two kit lenses for a little over one year. I really wanted the Canon XSi but loved how the D60 felt in my hand, it seemed "more substantial and better built" at least to me. The Canon just felt a bit more "plasticy" if I may say so. Now I use a professional photographer for my events at work 3 times a week, and talk to him all the time, he uses Canon 50D and takes amazing pictures. So nothing against Canons, I do like them.

However, between the cameras that you are comparing, I would definetely go with the D60. For one reason or another, the darn camera takes better pictures than the XSi and the XS... and I can say that for sure, at least in the hands of an amateur. Other family memebers have the other two cameras, and I have numerous pictures that I've taken during family events with all three cameras, at the same position, same light, same settings, and the D60 pictures blow the other two away, to the point of me having to e-mail my set of pictures to the rest of the family because theirs did not turn as good. Colors seem more saturated, better exposed, the XSi seems to wash out the pics a lot. Now, I am sure that in the hands of a professional, the XSi and the T1i should be able to take better pics than the Nikon D60... but in my hands, in the hands of my friends and family, I can GUARANTEE you better pictures 90% of the time with the D60... Don't ask me why, I've looked through the specs a million times, and the XSi and T1i look much better on paper... until I take the pictures with them! Crazy!

To be honest, the Canon T1i is on sale at Costco with two lenses for $899 at the moment... great deal! I've been itching to buy it, and was on my way out of the house two days ago to go get it (money is not an isssue keep in mind) and my wife wouldn't let me - she LOVES the pictures the D60 takes, and is aware of the difference with our friends/family taken pictures with the XSi and wouldn't want to hear it. Basically she said I can buy it, but the camera that will be taking pictures this Xmas will be the D60, and that would be the one that we will take on all vacations and etc... And I wouldn't listen to her if I also didn't feel the same deep inside, I just love new gadgets so I'm very tempted! But also very afraid, because I highly doubt that I'd be able to take the amazing pictures that I take with my D60 with any other camera, or at least not without having to splurge on nice lens and countless hours of learning how to use it professionaly. I get compliments every time I post pictures on facebook or anywhere else, people constantly ask me what camera I'm using and etc. and half of the time I'm shooting in fully auto mode! Even my professional photographer who I mentioned earlier talks to me about some of my pictures and comments on how amazing they look.

Anyway, just my .02 cents in this conversation, from someone that loves technology and really wants to believe that 15 megapixles is better than 10 megapixles - sometimes its just not about the specs or the numbers...:sexywink:

The primitive focus system of the D60 doesn't look appealing. Hasn't the D3000 replaced it with the same sensor and more modern features?

I'm not interested in video at all. Is that really the only huge difference between the T1i and the XSi? Mhm...

The biggest difference other than that is the LCD. The T1i has the 920,000 dot one, and it's quite nice. The ISO range is enhanced as well. That's probably the big three.

Edit: Oh, and the T1i has a new image processor.

I'm not interested in video at all. Is that really the only huge difference between the T1i and the XSi? Mhm...

The biggest difference other than that is the LCD. The T1i has the 920,000 dot one, and it's quite nice. The ISO range is enhanced as well. That's probably the big three.

Edit: Oh, and the T1i has a new image processor.
If one is going to shell out the cash for a T1i anyway, I would just spend an extra hundred dollars or so and get a 40D or 50D. You gain so much in doing so. 6.5 fps, top LCD, back dial + joystick, etc.

I have it in my costco online cart $799 its a t1i with 2 kit lenses and a free 4gb card
First of all, I would like to disclose that I am a total amateur. I am a tech geek however, and try to stay on top of technology as much as I can, even in the photography field.

Anyway, I've owned a D60 with two kit lenses for a little over one year. I really wanted the Canon XSi but loved how the D60 felt in my hand, it seemed "more substantial and better built" at least to me. The Canon just felt a bit more "plasticy" if I may say so. Now I use a professional photographer for my events at work 3 times a week, and talk to him all the time, he uses Canon 50D and takes amazing pictures. So nothing against Canons, I do like them.

However, between the cameras that you are comparing, I would definetely go with the D60. For one reason or another, the darn camera takes better pictures than the XSi and the XS... and I can say that for sure, at least in the hands of an amateur. Other family memebers have the other two cameras, and I have numerous pictures that I've taken during family events with all three cameras, at the same position, same light, same settings, and the D60 pictures blow the other two away, to the point of me having to e-mail my set of pictures to the rest of the family because theirs did not turn as good. Colors seem more saturated, better exposed, the XSi seems to wash out the pics a lot. Now, I am sure that in the hands of a professional, the XSi and the T1i should be able to take better pics than the Nikon D60... but in my hands, in the hands of my friends and family, I can GUARANTEE you better pictures 90% of the time with the D60... Don't ask me why, I've looked through the specs a million times, and the XSi and T1i look much better on paper... until I take the pictures with them! Crazy!

To be honest, the Canon T1i is on sale at Costco with two lenses for $899 at the moment... great deal! I've been itching to buy it, and was on my way out of the house two days ago to go get it (money is not an isssue keep in mind) and my wife wouldn't let me - she LOVES the pictures the D60 takes, and is aware of the difference with our friends/family taken pictures with the XSi and wouldn't want to hear it. Basically she said I can buy it, but the camera that will be taking pictures this Xmas will be the D60, and that would be the one that we will take on all vacations and etc... And I wouldn't listen to her if I also didn't feel the same deep inside, I just love new gadgets so I'm very tempted! But also very afraid, because I highly doubt that I'd be able to take the amazing pictures that I take with my D60 with any other camera, or at least not without having to splurge on nice lens and countless hours of learning how to use it professionaly. I get compliments every time I post pictures on facebook or anywhere else, people constantly ask me what camera I'm using and etc. and half of the time I'm shooting in fully auto mode! Even my professional photographer who I mentioned earlier talks to me about some of my pictures and comments on how amazing they look.

Anyway, just my .02 cents in this conversation, from someone that loves technology and really wants to believe that 15 megapixles is better than 10 megapixles - sometimes its just not about the specs or the numbers...:sexywink:

Bmsgangster... you don't have to quote everything just to respond with one line. ;)

the D60. For one reason or another, the darn camera takes better pictures than the XSi and the XS... and I can say that for sure, at least in the hands of an amateur. Other family memebers have the other two cameras, and I have numerous pictures that I've taken during family events with all three cameras, at the same position, same light, same settings, and the D60 pictures blow the other two away, to the point of me having to e-mail my set of pictures to the rest of the family because theirs did not turn as good. Colors seem more saturated, better exposed, the XSi seems to wash out the pics a lot. Now, I am sure that in the hands of a professional,
Quite misinforming.

The primary thing you have to keep in mind is that this is solely contained to JPEG capture; precisely why Canon and Nikon offer picture styles. In fact, 'faithful' - in other words, not so contrasted and saturated - is sometimes a default, for reference. Because when the camera processes in the default picture style, it is too oft judged, when in fact that is a result of the settings applied by the camera to change the image from RAW to JPG - precisely what happens when you take a photo in JPEG.

In RAW, compare them and you'll probably note that the one with the better lens and more megapixels will turn out better. Yes, megapixels - despite the fact that megapixels aren't necessary as such, at a certain level when it's blown up, of course the number of millions of pixels affects image quality.

ok
Bmsgangster... you don't have to quote everything just to respond with one line. ;)

the D60. For one reason or another, the darn camera takes better pictures than the XSi and the XS... and I can say that for sure, at least in the hands of an amateur. Other family memebers have the other two cameras, and I have numerous pictures that I've taken during family events with all three cameras, at the same position, same light, same settings, and the D60 pictures blow the other two away, to the point of me having to e-mail my set of pictures to the rest of the family because theirs did not turn as good. Colors seem more saturated, better exposed, the XSi seems to wash out the pics a lot. Now, I am sure that in the hands of a professional,
Quite misinforming.

The primary thing you have to keep in mind is that this is solely contained to JPEG capture; precisely why Canon and Nikon offer picture styles. In fact, 'faithful' - in other words, not so contrasted and saturated - is sometimes a default, for reference. Because when the camera processes in the default picture style, it is too oft judged, when in fact that is a result of the settings applied by the camera to change the image from RAW to JPG - precisely what happens when you take a photo in JPEG.

In RAW, compare them and you'll probably note that the one with the better lens and more megapixels will turn out better. Yes, megapixels - despite the fact that megapixels aren't necessary as such, at a certain level when it's blown up, of course the number of millions of pixels affects image quality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back