Canon Rebel Vs. Olympus E300

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mrzippo, Aug 12, 2006.

1. mrzippo

mrzippo TPF Noob!

I am a begginer in photography and i want to change my Canon AE-1 Program, I saw the Olympu E300 with an Zuiko lens of 14-45mm on $499.99 on amazon.com but the i saw also the Canon Rebel (300D) With an 18-55mm lens at the same price but refurbished....they both have great reviews, but i just don't know wich one to get....could someone help me?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here is a side by side comparison.

The big difference, IMO, is the lenses used by either camera. The 300D uses Canon EF & EF-S lenses (and compatible)...which includes a huge selection and some of the best lenses in the world. The E300 uses a new lens system called 4/3. I don't know how many lenses are available but it's certainly one a fraction of what is available in the EF mount.

For this reason, I would look at the Canon over the Olympus. Look around, you may be able to find a used newer/better model for that price. Check out the Rebel XT (350D) or the 20D.

3. OVR

OVR TPF Noob!

My opinion... not the body is the most important thing when you buy... the lenses are... you can take a Canon 300D and then when you will upgrade the body you will have more accesories and other things...
    if you have money you can buy a Canon 30D...