Canon Rebel XSI crop factor,is that bad?

jrizo1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi i just got a brad new canon xsi a month ago, and today i hear about crop factor and i just do not know What exactly that means

did i make a bad choise?

Don't worry. You did not make a bad choice. In fact, for the Canon line of DSLR, the only option you have are cameras with a crop factor (i.e. Rebels and 40D) or spend thousands of dollars for a 5D mark II or a 1D mark III.

Same with Nikon, Sony etc. You're gonna have to put down a ton of dough for a camera with a full frame sensor... unless you can get yourself a 5-finger discount:)

Hi i just got a brad new canon xsi a month ago, and today i hear about crop factor and i just do not know What exactly that means

did i make a bad choise?

No, not a bad choice. The crop factor means that the image sensor is smaller than a frame of traditional 35mm film. Most consumer DSLR's are crop sensor. What it means is that the field of view is narrower than with a 35mm camera, which is good for shooting things far away (sports, wildlife), but not so good for shooting wide angle. Apparently it is difficult to manufacture wide angle lenses for crop sensors since the tolerances are so tight, so wide angle lenses are expensive.

thanks maulrat tha make me feel better, but whats up whith reg Take the camera back NOW.

if i was a profesional i will not be asking, i am just new at this trying to get better at it, i did not went out and got a $2000 camera.
what's your ploblem did you know everything before you buy your first camara?

whats up with you not knowing anything about a several hundred dollar purchase

LoL. That ain't nothing. This is how crazy some people are. My coworker went out today and bought a Nikon D700 and a 24-70 f/2.8 lens. He just called me up a couple of hours ago and asked me, "How many photos can I take using the internal memory"? This guy didn't even buy a memory card.

Don't feel so bad jrizo1. Just do a little more research on your expensive toys.

Perhaps you didn't realize where this was posted, in the beginners forum... Half of the idiots that work at Ritz camera don't know what the crop factor is. Christ, You are the reason people are afraid to ask questions on this board. Grow up...

yeah thats right reg if you are so smart you should not even be looking at this board. go were the a....... like you are.

if i was a profesional i will not be asking, i am just new at this trying to get better at it, i did not went out and got a $2000 camera.
what's your ploblem did you know everything before you buy your first camara?

I just bought the XSI also and I did not know what crop factor was either.

No kidding, and I totally agree with where you're going in the other thread too.

Reg has a point though, how can you spend $700 on a body and not know anything about it. Granted it is the beginners forum, i know my money doesnt go on trees so when I embark on a $1000 purchase, i research the hell out of it. With that being said, the crop factor is not necessarily bad, it just means that the focal length equivalent on your camera is 1.6 times what your lens is (as compared to a film or full frame digital). A 50mm lens has an equivalent telephoto view of an 80mm lens. Not bad, good when trying to get in close to subjects, bad when trying to get that wide angle shot. (10mm lens shows up as a 16mm lens). Overall the XSi seems like a good camera minus the slow memory card.

Nick

different strokes for different folks... Some do more research, some rely on pricepoint to tell them what they want to know about a purchase.

Reg may have had a point, but that point doesn't need to be brought up here... and not in such a condescending manner... if you can't help newbs politely, then DON'T help them... some one else will. This is not how we talk to newbs on this forum.

As you were.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back