Canon Rebel XSi

Sydkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Curious to know if any of you Rebel Xsi shooters out there could send me a few of your images to look at. Also, I'd like to know how much you've used it, what you typically shoot, and what lenses you normally use. Your opinion of the camera would be much appreciated.

I think most people here just lust after (and then complain about) gear - they never actually use it.

Just kidding... :)

how much is shoot - as often as I can
what I typically shoot (as well as my bank balance) defines what lenses I use - if I am doing macro I use my sigma 150mm macro; zoo wildlife its the 70-200mm f2.8+1.4teleconverter - wild wildlife 70-200mm+1.4/2*Teleconverter (would be 300mm f2.8 if my bank would allow me ;))
As for shots - well I don't have any fullsized uploads though here are a few 100% crops (note 100% crop means a section cut out of a fullsized photo - so its as fullsize resolution and detail but with a lot of the photo missing)

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/my works/Colchester Zoo 1/100percent crops/

Also note that the end product is very dependent on (in order)
Photographer skill
lens on the camera body
camera body in use

Also, I'd like to know how much you've used it, what you typically shoot, and what lenses you normally use.
These questions certainly are not camera specific...

oh wait XSI is the 450D is it?
if so I just shoot 400D - so one model down, though from what I have read the quality difference is marginal -

Thanks, Overread. I was curious to see what is possible with the Xsi camera. Those were excellent shots, they show me what the camera can do.

I agree that image outcome is dependent on many factors. I'm looking to upgrade to the Xsi and will be needing lenses for both landscape and wildlife subjects. I am trying to improve in skill the best I know how. Thank you for the response. I hope my skill can be as good as your's one day.

Oh belive me I have a long way to go - and those were zoo shots ;)
out of interset what are you upgrading from - a point and shoot or bridge camera?

Upgrading from a P&S - the Canon S3 IS. Its 2yrs old and they've already replaced it with the S5. But I really want more control and a greater range of that control (ie. my camera only goes up to f8).

Thanks for being an inspiration to me. I will have to check out our local zoo! ;)

Upgrading from a P&S - the Canon S3 IS. Its 2yrs old and they've already replaced it with the S5. But I really want more control and a greater range of that control (ie. my camera only goes up to f8).

Thanks for being an inspiration to me. I will have to check out our local zoo! ;)

I'm in a similar situation. I bought an S2 IS in 2005 because I wasn't ready to invest in a DSLR. It has served me well through a lot of experiences, but I'm now looking to advance my photography skill and my three year old camera isn't cutting it. My current dilemma is XSi, 40D, or 50D.

The XSi seems like it has great features for the price, but the thing is tiny and uncomfortable in my hands. But the 40D is twice the price, and the 50D is $1k more.

I'm stuck as to which to buy, so I'm lurking the forum looking for posts regarding each model in an effort to decide. Input threads like this are a great help.

Yes, these are great helps to us new-comers of the dSLR world. I've heard from several people that if you're on a budget, its best to buy a camera that will get you in the right direction, and then spend your money on lenses. You can always upgrade the camera later. And why have a super-awesome camera with so-so quality lenses? I think those people may be on to something. Good luck to you!

well the 40D and 50D are in the next level of cameras - midrange models, rather than the rebel series (XSi) which is beginner level - as such the 40D and 50D are better options certainly and if you can afford either go for it!
The 50D is new out so its price is high - a few months and its price will settle and stabalize.
As for size - try holding the XSi with a battery grip - adds a lot of size to the camera and also lets you use 2 batteries at once as well as the option of using AAs (though they don't last long!) it also comes with a full set of controls on the grip which let you shoot in portrate mode effortlessly!
XSi is a fine camera, but its not 40D or 50D

And skykid you are right - lenses make a lot more difference than a body will! :)

I totally agree as well with Overheads post, and from what i've read and researched when i was looking at buying my SLR, its the lenses that count, and you can always buy a new body later down the track.
I purchased my XSi last week and I have no regrets what so ever, really performs good for what i need it to. Bought the body without a kit lens and purchased a macro 100mm lens, it's a good lens for portrait and macro photogaphy.
If you would like to see some full size pictures i've taken, send us an email and i'll reply with some pictures :)

I was curious to see what is possible with the Xsi camera. Those were excellent shots, they show me what the camera can do.

ANY modern DSLR can produce fantastic images. It isn't the camera that makes a great image, it is the photographer.

I could take some fairly decent pictures with an XSi and I could take horrible ones... but neither of those sets of pictures would tell you one thing about the XSi.

Image quality wise it is excellent... but so are pretty much all other new DSLRs.

Put a good lens on a DSLR, and the ONLY limiting factor is the photographer's eye and skill.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back