Canon Rebel XT or XTi?

lkWinnipesaukee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a DSLR in the near future. Since I already have a bunch of EF lenses, I'm going to get a Canon.

I'm torn between the XT and the XTi for ~$150 more.

Is it just 2 more megapixels? What are the maximum size prints I can make with each?

Any other pros/cons?

Thanks

They say the difference you get between a Rebl and a rebel XT aren't enough to justify the price. the same can be said for an XT and an XTi. However a regular rebel to an XTi is enough. I wouldn't worry about the XTi too much because the only REAL benefit I see is a self cleaning sensor, which I hear doesn't do its job too well anyway.
I shoot an XT and with how many lenses you see out there that you'll want, the
price really can be put to better use through the lenses. I'd buy a Rebel XT body only with the $65 50mm f/1.8 MK II and then one other lens of your choice (please don't go for a slow large range zoom like most people do for their first lens, get a medium range zoom that can open up a bit) I'd suggest the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM.

it all comes down to if you can afford it. if you have the money, or can get the money easily enough, get the XTi. If you cant spring the extra 150 on the body, dont worry, you aren't missing out on much. That extra 150 can buy you a 50mm 1.8 lens and some filters.

I see you already have the 50 f1.8 :)

you say you have a bunch of EF lenses - only two in your sig. The 50 f1.8 is a pretty nice lens for a starter.

XT is a nice camera. XTi obviously more features but not sure it's worth the extra unless you just want to spend it. Sometimes wants are a higher priority than needs.

I personally prefer the XT's mini LCD with a 1.8 inch main rater than the XTi's do-it-all 2.5 Main.

The XTi has a higher burst rate than the XT but if you are not going to shoot sports then this will have no affect on your photography. So if that is the case go with the XT and spend the difference in price on a good lens.

Biggest benefit of the XTi is the auto focus system, which is the same as the 30D. A large improvement from the XT.

I am most likely going to be buying a XT in the next week and, as many here have said, the kit 18-55 lens appears to be pretty crappy. What is a single good lens in the $100-$150 range that would be a good lens to pick up with the body, at least for a first lens?

TIA

I am most likely going to be buying a XT in the next week and, as many here have said, the kit 18-55 lens appears to be pretty crappy. What is a single good lens in the $100-$150 range that would be a good lens to pick up with the body, at least for a first lens?

TIA

the 50mm 1.8, hands down

DSLR noob, have you used the XTi for a long period of time? I only ask because I have a pentax with a 2.5, and from using my friends XT I cant stand the little screen. not only is it a little screen, it has poor quality, making the reviews harder to see problems. On my 2.5in screen things are crystal clear, and large.

Though I still stand by the idea that if you are getting into photography, the XT is a better choice and the money is better spend on an extra lens, or at least put towards a better lens.

On my 2.5in screen things are crystal clear, and large.

I have an XTi (I wanted the extra megapixels, so I went for it) and I love the screen. The only gripe I have about the screen is that it's a little too good. Some pictures look fabulous on the screen but are somewhat disappointing when I get them on the computer (I had to turn down the brightness, which helped). I have to add, though, that my monitor isn't calibrated so it could just be my monitor.

I don't want to give the wrong impression with my comments. I'm very happy with my XTi. I'm certainly not complaining (too much anyway). :mrgreen:

The XTi may not be worth upgrading o from the XT, but it is definately a better choice, expecially for the $150 extra.

Things gained:

1) 9-point autofocus (taken from 30D)
2) Sensor Cleaning
3) Bigger LCD
4) Higher MP count
5) longer burst rate

Granted, the sensor cleaning is just small quirk, but it takes a lot of the stress away from changing lenses outside. The 10 vs 8 megapixels may not be worth speaking of, but it is, at some point, going to come handy. Not a deal breaker, but definately worth looking at.

As for the screen. Many people complain about the loss of a status LCD, but I acutally prefer the screen. It is much, much brighter. I can clearly see my settings and it is especially usefull in a darkly lit room or at night. The extra .7 inches really counts for something when reviewing my pictures. It still isn't fool-proof, but I can much more easily tell which picture is blurred or which one is too grainy for use. I can't see why anyone would prefer a smaller screen. It just doesn't make sense.

The burst rate is nice. I couldn't imagine if it was smaller, because even with the higher rate, I still find myself longing for more shots before the camera's buffer fills up.

All of that said, would the extra money be better off spent on an extra lense? Maybe, I'm not sure. I guess it depends on how long it takes you to save up $150.

I was in the same place you were a while ago. Since money is a bit tight I rather see it go to lenses, the extra features were nice but didn't do it for me.

I was in the same place you were a while ago. Since money is a bit tight I rather see it go to lenses, the extra features were nice but didn't do it for me.

and in your case I'd say you made the perfect decision. Glass > camera body, but if you can afford the better body, why not?

Most reactions

Back