Canon Rebel XT or XTi?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by lkWinnipesaukee, Mar 6, 2007.

1. lkWinnipesaukee

lkWinnipesaukee TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a DSLR in the near future. Since I already have a bunch of EF lenses, I'm going to get a Canon.

I'm torn between the XT and the XTi for ~$150 more.

Is it just 2 more megapixels? What are the maximum size prints I can make with each?

Any other pros/cons?

Thanks

2. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    They say the difference you get between a Rebl and a rebel XT aren't enough to justify the price. the same can be said for an XT and an XTi. However a regular rebel to an XTi is enough. I wouldn't worry about the XTi too much because the only REAL benefit I see is a self cleaning sensor, which I hear doesn't do its job too well anyway.
    I shoot an XT and with how many lenses you see out there that you'll want, the
    price really can be put to better use through the lenses. I'd buy a Rebel XT body only with the $65 50mm f/1.8 MK II and then one other lens of your choice (please don't go for a slow large range zoom like most people do for their first lens, get a medium range zoom that can open up a bit) I'd suggest the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM.

3. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    it all comes down to if you can afford it. if you have the money, or can get the money easily enough, get the XTi. If you cant spring the extra 150 on the body, dont worry, you aren't missing out on much. That extra 150 can buy you a 50mm 1.8 lens and some filters.

4. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I see you already have the 50 f1.8 :)

you say you have a bunch of EF lenses - only two in your sig. The 50 f1.8 is a pretty nice lens for a starter.

XT is a nice camera. XTi obviously more features but not sure it's worth the extra unless you just want to spend it. Sometimes wants are a higher priority than needs.

5. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I personally prefer the XT's mini LCD with a 1.8 inch main rater than the XTi's do-it-all 2.5 Main.

6. mrcoons

mrcoons TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The XTi has a higher burst rate than the XT but if you are not going to shoot sports then this will have no affect on your photography. So if that is the case go with the XT and spend the difference in price on a good lens.

7. cloose

cloose TPF Noob!

Biggest benefit of the XTi is the auto focus system, which is the same as the 30D. A large improvement from the XT.

8. hostile

hostile TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am most likely going to be buying a XT in the next week and, as many here have said, the kit 18-55 lens appears to be pretty crappy. What is a single good lens in the $100-$150 range that would be a good lens to pick up with the body, at least for a first lens?

TIA

9. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the 50mm 1.8, hands down

DSLR noob, have you used the XTi for a long period of time? I only ask because I have a pentax with a 2.5, and from using my friends XT I cant stand the little screen. not only is it a little screen, it has poor quality, making the reviews harder to see problems. On my 2.5in screen things are crystal clear, and large.

Though I still stand by the idea that if you are getting into photography, the XT is a better choice and the money is better spend on an extra lens, or at least put towards a better lens.

10. hostile

hostile TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  11. mrcoons

mrcoons TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. MACollum

MACollum TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have an XTi (I wanted the extra megapixels, so I went for it) and I love the screen. The only gripe I have about the screen is that it's a little too good. Some pictures look fabulous on the screen but are somewhat disappointing when I get them on the computer (I had to turn down the brightness, which helped). I have to add, though, that my monitor isn't calibrated so it could just be my monitor.

I don't want to give the wrong impression with my comments. I'm very happy with my XTi. I'm certainly not complaining (too much anyway). :mrgreen: