Canon Rebel XT or XTi?

As for the screen. Many people complain about the loss of a status LCD, but I acutally prefer the screen. It is much, much brighter. I can clearly see my settings and it is especially usefull in a darkly lit room or at night. The extra .7 inches really counts for something when reviewing my pictures. It still isn't fool-proof, but I can much more easily tell which picture is blurred or which one is too grainy for use. I can't see why anyone would prefer a smaller screen. It just doesn't make sense.

I agree on the screen size. I occasionally need to wear my reading glasses but with my XT I need them all the time. Whereas the XTi I can read unaided.

The XTi may not be worth upgrading o from the XT, but it is definately a better choice, expecially for the $150 extra.

Things gained:

1) 9-point autofocus (taken from 30D)
2) Sensor Cleaning
3) Bigger LCD
4) Higher MP count
5) longer burst rate

Granted, the sensor cleaning is just small quirk, but it takes a lot of the stress away from changing lenses outside. The 10 vs 8 megapixels may not be worth speaking of, but it is, at some point, going to come handy. Not a deal breaker, but definately worth looking at.

As for the screen. Many people complain about the loss of a status LCD, but I acutally prefer the screen. It is much, much brighter. I can clearly see my settings and it is especially usefull in a darkly lit room or at night. The extra .7 inches really counts for something when reviewing my pictures. It still isn't fool-proof, but I can much more easily tell which picture is blurred or which one is too grainy for use. I can't see why anyone would prefer a smaller screen. It just doesn't make sense.

The burst rate is nice. I couldn't imagine if it was smaller, because even with the higher rate, I still find myself longing for more shots before the camera's buffer fills up.

All of that said, would the extra money be better off spent on an extra lense? Maybe, I'm not sure. I guess it depends on how long it takes you to save up $150.

This makes me wonder if I should go for the XTi myself...

I have had an XTI for 31 days now. I tryed the XT at the store...I liked the higher FPS in burst mode with the XTI and realy liked how it felt in my hand. I dont know if I would have been just as happy with a XT as I am with my XTI but if some one were to offer me an XT + the price diff ( $100 here ) I would laugh and call them stupid. I am very happy with mine...BTW many people think the kit lens sucks...I am VERRRRRY happy with the kit lens but that could be because I upgraded from a 7.1mp point and shoot... Also I think going from a 7.1mp to 10.1mp makes a huge difference and would be willing to bet that 8 to 10.1 would be nearly as impressive.

Ok I am tired of people saying the XTi has a higher FPS no it does not it has a higher buffer for burst. Also, I'd take that bet Deforest, the dirrence you are seeing isn't from 7 to 10.1 megapixels, it's going from a point and shoot to a Digital SLR. The sensor size is much larger. I just think that a differnet autofocus is the only thing justifying the price, everything else seems like a waste of money to me.

It says on your own reference sites, 14 shots large/fine, but it also says 3 FPS. same FPS differnet buffer, which is what I was saying. I.E. they're both just as fast. They also both have the very same DIGIC ii processor and have the same startup times, write times, and etc.

Don't use biased opinions, I've researched both cameras carefully befor emy purchase and you make it seems as if the XT is leaps and bounds behind the XTi when really the AF system is the main difference. I personally try to compose as many manual focus shots as possible anyway. I am using the words like "personally" and "I feel" but you are giving false info. the XTi is not faster at taking shots than the XT.

Get the XTi. I had the XT and sold it to get the XTi. I really like the XTi better. The focus system is much better and the larger LCD is much easier for these older eyes to see! You won't be disappointed!!

I'll say it again, if you can afford the XTi, get it, if money is a little tight, get the XT and the 50mm 1.8. Your pictures aren't going to be limited by the XT as far as pictures. They will both produce more or less the same image (larger for the XTi)

I already have a 50mm f1.8 and a low-end telephoto. I'm just going to wait a bit longer and get the XTi w/ kit lens. eBay offers great deals. :D

Most reactions

Back