Canon Rebel XT..

onlyamemory

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the boards and to photography. I fell in love with the Canon Rebel XT when I first saw it.. mainly cause I thought it was cute. :blushing: And I got to hold one for a little while in Staples once. Anyways, they are kind of expensive, and since I'm only 15, I can't get a job and save up myself. So I told my mom I'd clean up around the house for a while until I earned enough to get one. But anyways, now here is where I need advice.

Would it be completely stupid to get that as my first SLR camera?

It is a wonderful digital camera to begin with though some individuals may suggest it is best to first introduce yourself to SLR film cameras. I personally started with film and am actually contemplating picking up a used Canon film SLR on ebay in addition to my 350D.

Though the camera body is important, you may also want to look into what lens/es you may want to use, as often times the prices of the lenses can add up to one third or a half of the camera body price. Many people highly recommend the 50mm f/1.8 to begin with.

Other options you might want to look into are the new Canon 400D which is the newer version of the 300D and 350D 'line', as well as Nikon's D80, D70 and D50.

Hopefully this helps some.

B&H has it for about $640 - $750 depending on the lens it comes with and the memory card they were giving with it

i reccomend film tho you can get a really good one for $100-$200 and once you get the hang of photography and some lenses buy the digital

I don't know about film cameras.. I'm not great with those anyways. And I like digital cause I can put them on my computer easier and stuff. Plus I'll be using my camera for like.. taking pictures of my friends, animals, and birthdays along with taking, more like trying to take, really good pictures. I've seen loads of them on ebay but I'm scared to buy one cause all I've seen have been refurbished. /:

There is actually very little difference between film and digital. As well, you learn the basics the hard way through film (nothing like waiting a few days for your prints picking them up and they are completely crummy. Then again, when you receive an image that looks marvelous there is much more of a "wow! Did I really take that?")

Just something you might want to consider if the oppurtunity arises.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back