Canon rebel XTi vs. Nikon D80... Discuss

quattro4life

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Want to upgrade from my shizzy point and shoot. looking at both the Rebel and the D80. Im not an expert protographer however have been getting into it alot more lately. cost isnt a constraint so which model should i go with? any input is great! thanks

If cost isn't a constraint and you don't have any specific requirements... either. Just go to the shop and try using them both. Then buy the one you prefer.

For what it's worth Cnet.com has a Prize Fight where they compare and contrast two similar products and did the D80 / XTi a bit ago. The D80 stomped the XTi.

It's interesting to note that but I wouldn't value it much beyond entertainment. As with the D50 / XT debate ... I don't think there's a clear winner as opposed to people's personal preference.

I agree with the posts above...go into a store and hold them both.

The XTi is Canon's entry level DSLR model while the D80 is Nikon's lower/mid level model (the D50 being the entry level). By holding them both, you would probably find that the D80 is bigger and heavier while the XTi is made to be smaller and lighter.

Also, run searches on this forum, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. The answer is that there is no clear winner. One thing that might help is to go with a model that is owned by someone whom you might learn from. If you have questions it's good to be able to ask someone rather than try to look it up.

Hahaha so true. While I completely understand why this topic keeps showing up and how people would think one would be the technically superior camera... I honestly haven't heard a strong enough argument either way to convince me of a winner.

The good thing is that neither camera is bad so either way you go... you should be well satisfied with the investment.

Iron Flatline said:
Also, run searches on this forum, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. The answer is that there is no clear winner. One thing that might help is to go with a model that is owned by someone whom you might learn from. If you have questions it's good to be able to ask someone rather than try to look it up.

have you checked out dpreview? you can probobly compare them there, and if you can i'm sure there will be enough info for you to decide which one is 'technically' more advanced.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back