LuisAugusto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As my profile says I own an old Minolta X-300s with two lenses:

-Minolta 18-70mm Macro 1:4
-Vivitar 100-300mm Macro 1:5

Of course as you probably already guessed it's a film reflex.

I'm thinking on going digital, and my budget allows me to have 2 big options:

-Canon Rebel XTi with 18-55mm
-Sony Alpha 200 18-70mm and 75-300mm

I like a lot the A200 because it's compatible with Minolta plus it have a lot more zoom (but a little less macro), and it's superior in the spec sheet.

However, must people tend to recommend the Rebel over the Sony.

Could you give some advices and help?

Sorry for my poor english, and thanks in advance.

As my profile says I own an old Minolta X-300s with two lenses:

-Minolta 18-70mm Macro 1:4
-Vivitar 100-300mm Macro 1:5

Of course as you probably already guessed it's a film reflex.

I'm thinking on going digital, and my budget allows me to have 2 big options:

-Canon Rebel XTi with 18-55mm
-Sony Alpha 200 18-70mm and 75-300mm

I like a lot the A200 because it's compatible with Minolta plus it have a lot more zoom (but a little less macro), and it's superior in the spec sheet.

However, must people tend to recommend the Rebel over the Sony.

Could you give some advices and help?

Sorry for my poor english, and thanks in advance.

I don't know Canon details but there's no question that Nikon and Canon are the SLR leaders in the world today. As Canon is one of your choices, my recommendation is that you go that route.

By the way, your English is MUCH better than my Spanish!

Why the XTi over the XT? you could use the extra money for another lens if you get the XT....

I don't know Canon details but there's no question that Nikon and Canon are the SLR leaders in the world today. As Canon is one of your choices, my recommendation is that you go that route.

Ok, I'll take that in consideration, because you're right there are a lot more accessories and lenses for Canon.

By the way, your English is MUCH better than my Spanish!

Thank you very much.

Here is a big comparative chart:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/CAM...ections[]=1095&sections[]=1358&submit=Compare

The XT is only 8.0 MP and 7 focus points, but you're right, it's a good option.

Here is a big comparative chart:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/CAM...ections[]=1095&sections[]=1358&submit=Compare

The XT is only 8.0 MP and 7 focus points, but you're right, it's a good option.

Megapixels aren't nearly as important as you think. I shoot with a 6.3 MP camera and that's more than enough for large prints.

It's generally accepted that the XT is superior to the XTi anyways. I vote that you save the money in getting an XT and use the spared cash on a good lens or a good flash.

Don't let numbers sway your decision. I say go with a more robust camera over one with more AF points and megapixels any day of the week.

Megapixels aren't nearly as important as you think. I shoot with a 6.3 MP camera and that's more than enough for large prints.

It's generally accepted that the XT is superior to the XTi anyways. I vote that you save the money in getting an XT and use the spared cash on a good lens or a good flash.

Don't let numbers sway your decision. I say go with a more robust camera over one with more AF points and megapixels any day of the week.

Ok, thank you very much.

One more question: Is the A200 (or A300 if available) a bad option? In film based reflexes I'm a fan of Minolta, and I have those 2 lenses I mentioned and I forgot my Macro 1:1 from Minolta.

And, here in Mexico, the Rebel XTi is at 954 dollars with tax included (15% here in Mexico), the Alpha 200 is at 795 with taxes too, and with the 75-300mm is at 1,000.

I'll check for the Rebel XT price.

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

It's generally accepted that the XT is superior to the XTi anyways.

I don't recall ever hearing that. The Xt is superior in what ways? I know the XTi gets criticized for being too small (?), but I thought it was the better camera. :confused:

IMHO I like Canon lenses better than Sony ones... so I would choose Canon of the two.

IMHO I like Canon lenses better than Sony ones... so I would choose Canon of the two.

I want to buy a Sony A2/300 and buy sigma lenses for it, same with the Rebel XTi or XT.

I have use both lenses, 18-55mm with the canon and the sony 18-70mm, and the second seems to be better.

But every photographer I know seems to hate sony :( And they possibly have their reason so that what is keeping me from buying one.

I have the XTi, and my best friend has the XT...and after playing with hers im very happy to have the XTi. The screen is bigger, the info on what you are shooting in on the LCD screen, I think it focuses a bit easier. JMO :)

The sony is fine. Go for it and the lenses. Get both the megapixels and the glass for the same price as the XT without the megapixels or the XTi without the glass. Photographers are used to their Nikons and Canons and reccommend them. They are good cameras but the A200 is almost as good and costs less. I would say go for it.

I bought the Sony A200, and it will arrive in 2 days :)

I played with my 3 options, Nikon D40x, Canon Rebel XTi and Sony Alpha 200, and overall the A200 beat them all, just a personal opinion, probably influenced by my minolta loyalty.

Leaving for future possible buyers:

Nikon D40x:

It's a very nice camera, very compact and the kit lens are far better than XTi ones. But it has "little annoying" problems all over the way, you can even find a post about them here. However, I liked it a lot.

Canon Rebel XTi:

Another nice camera for low budgets as mine, it has pretty much the same features that the A200 with the exception of Image Stabilizer (Sony Super Steady Shot). As far as I tested (and read) it has a better performance than A200 at high ISOs (less noise), but the kit lens aren't not even close to D40x and A200 ones.

Sony Alpha 200:

My favorite out of these 3. It's more cheaper than their counterparts (at least here on Mexico), it features Sony Super Steady Shot, a very good kit lens, quite better than those found in the XTi, with a little more zoom than the standard (18-70mm), up to 3,200 ISO (while the other are up to 1,600). On the downside, it has a noise problem at high ISO, however, as far as I have read, it has a very above average quality in Long Exposure shots. Features a slightly bigger screen (2.7"), and 2.8 shots per second (while XTi and Canon feature 3.0, but the difference is ridiculously small, for making 1 picture difference it will be around 5 seconds).

I bought the Sony A200, and it will arrive in 2 days :)

I played with my 3 options, Nikon D40x, Canon Rebel XTi and Sony Alpha 200, and overall the A200 beat them all, just a personal opinion, probably influenced by my minolta loyalty.

Leaving for future possible buyers:

Nikon D40x:

It's a very nice camera, very compact and the kit lens are far better than XTi ones. But it has "little annoying" problems all over the way, you can even find a post about them here. However, I liked it a lot.

Canon Rebel XTi:

Another nice camera for low budgets as mine, it has pretty much the same features that the A200 with the exception of Image Stabilizer (Sony Super Steady Shot). As far as I tested (and read) it has a better performance than A200 at high ISOs (less noise), but the kit lens aren't not even close to D40x and A200 ones.

Sony Alpha 200:

My favorite out of these 3. It's more cheaper than their counterparts (at least here on Mexico), it features Sony Super Steady Shot, a very good kit lens, quite better than those found in the XTi, with a little more zoom than the standard (18-70mm), up to 3,200 ISO (while the other are up to 1,600). On the downside, it has a noise problem at high ISO, however, as far as I have read, it has a very above average quality in Long Exposure shots. Features a slightly bigger screen (2.7"), and 2.8 shots per second (while XTi and Canon feature 3.0, but the difference is ridiculously small, for making 1 picture difference it will be around 5 seconds).
Ha I have a minolta x700 ,370s,800si,a maxxum 9ti ,9000, and a 5000 i got at a yard sale for fun,and every thing you can imagine for each of them ,But my Canon system is what I use ! For the long run I would go with Canon .

Luis, I promise you that you will love your A200. Great choice! You'll love Sony. I love my A200 and I received the two lens kit on Thursday. It's a beautiful camera and has so far given me the most quality that it can.

The only thing I hate is that the flash doesn't pop high enough so at wide angles, you see a shadow of the lens in the picture but can easily be fixed.

I hope that this is another Sony fan at TPF.

Ha I have a minolta x700 ,370s,800si,a maxxum 9ti ,9000, and a 5000 i got at a yard sale for fun,and every thing you can imagine for each of them ,But my Canon system is what I use ! For the long run I would go with Canon .

That's nice I guess, but I'm 100% sure Sony will have a big part of the cake in a near future, so I bought an A200 because was the best camera at the best price and I believe in Sony, they bought Konica Minolta, they have 24 lenses already (ok, a lot of them are the same Minolta lenses, but still), they own the 11% of Tamron and they made an agreement with Carl Zeiss (there are already 4 Carl Zeiss lenses, and 8 more to be released soon), plus almost all Sigma lenses are compatible with Sony Alpha Mount.

I used all 3 cameras, and the A200 seems and felt like was the best choice, I have enough lenses options for it, and even if it isn't the best company, Sigma lenses are good and at a nice price, plus, my A200 will stabilize them, and, if I could afford expensive lenses in the future, there are the G series and Carl Zeiss, plus some non-G good lenses.

I thought a lot this, because this, and my old Minolta X-300s, will be the cameras I will use at my career at the university (In Mexico it's called "Diseño y Comunicación Visual" Which is more or less "Design and Visual Communications")

And by the way, loyalty has absolutely anything to do with the amount of stuff bought.

Luis, I promise you that you will love your A200. Great choice! You'll love Sony. I love my A200 and I received the two lens kit on Thursday. It's a beautiful camera and has so far given me the most quality that it can.

I hope you're right, I really loved the camera when I used it at the local store (quite a few times). About the kit lenses, how good is the 70-300mm? I'm thinking on buying that one or the Sigma 70-300mm APO, which adds Macro to the list (1:2 at 200mm-300mm).

The only thing I hate is that the flash doesn't pop high enough so at wide angles, you see a shadow of the lens in the picture but can easily be fixed.

Yeah, I read about that, but in exchange, the flash actually works with Macro, Did you already try out that? :)

I hope that this is another Sony fan at TPF.

Likely to happen, I was Minolta fan, and for my humble point of view, sony has been making a good job.

I really liked the times I used it, quite more than D40x and Rebel XTi.

So far, I already love it, and mine hasn't even arrive :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back