Canon Rebel XTi vs Sony Alpha 200

Oh dont get me wrong I love Minolta thats why I own so many of them,till they left me high and dry in the digital revolution,and waiting what neer 5 years for a decent minolta digital to come out,thats why I whent else where is all,I'm not into waiting for some one to catch up is what I'm trying to say.... Cheers :)

Oh dont get me wrong I love Minolta thats why I own so many of them,till they left me high and dry in the digital revolution,and waiting what neer 5 years for a decent minolta digital to come out,thats why I whent else where is all,I'm not into waiting for some one to catch up is what I'm trying to say.... Cheers :)

Ok, I got your point now :)

But I'm, more likely to be a lot younger than you, so I didn't feel those 5 years.

The 75-300mm is pretty good. It's very nice but it can be like carrying a log on your camera. Great if you want to "shoot" a bird or an airplane.

About the flash, yes I have tried it with the macro and yes it does work but in the near future, I hope to purchase an additional flash for portrait purposes. I just need to find one for cheap. :]

Ok, thank you very much.

One more question: Is the A200 (or A300 if available) a bad option? In film based reflexes I'm a fan of Minolta, and I have those 2 lenses I mentioned and I forgot my Macro 1:1 from Minolta.

Again, thanks a lot for your help.
Those lenses were made for the old manual focus cameras and won't match up with the Sony. You'd have to use Minolta Maxxum lenses for that.

If you're deciding on a Canon, look at a 30D You can get them for $799USD new at bhphotovideo.com and you can find them for probably $600-$700 used and in very good condition.

It's superior to the XTI. I'm not sure about the Sony specs but the 30D is 8mp, has spot metering, 5 fps, faster AF (than the xti), a top LCD, scroll wheel for much more intuitive controls, and other things that make it a very, very good camera for a good price. It's the last gen of the XXD series as the 40D just came out, but it's by no means an underperformer.

Sony just announced that they developed a FF sensor not that long ago, so if they put it in a DSLR, they'll be set for catering to a pro market. You really can't go wrong with most any system out there.

Ok, I got your point now :)

But I'm, more likely to be a lot younger than you, so I didn't feel those 5 years.
LMAO:mrgreen:Have fun with what ever you get thats the main thing

Welcome to the Sony club! you wont be disappointed. I have the sony a700 and its absolutely awesome. I had the a100 and it was a great first camera, and i've heard good things about the a200 as well.

Those lenses were made for the old manual focus cameras and won't match up with the Sony. You'd have to use Minolta Maxxum lenses for that.

I'm aware of that now, but thank you for the warning :)

About the flash, yes I have tried it with the macro and yes it does work but in the near future, I hope to purchase an additional flash for portrait purposes. I just need to find one for cheap. :]

And, I want an external flash too, but here in Mexico everything is at least 30% more expensive than in USA.

Ok, is good to know that the 70-300mm has a decent quality, I will like to test both of them tough, thanks again :)

Welcome to the Sony club! you wont be disappointed. I have the sony a700 and its absolutely awesome. I had the a100 and it was a great first camera, and i've heard good things about the a200 as well.

My pleasure ;)

Just one day more and it will be in my hands :)

as for a flash, if you have anyone who trusts you in the US, you could maybe have them buy it and ship it to you or something too... or check out ebay for an old minolta flash, like the HS 3600, or 5600, i belive both of those will work on the alpha, because they're just the minolta versions of the sony HVL56am and HVL36am

as for a flash, if you have anyone who trusts you in the US, you could maybe have them buy it and ship it to you or something too... or check out ebay for an old minolta flash, like the HS 3600, or 5600, i belive both of those will work on the alpha, because they're just the minolta versions of the sony HVL56am and HVL36am

The problem is that Mexico charges 26% extra for any product coming for outside, for example, If I buy in ebay a 200 dollars flash then I will have to pay 52 bucks more here in Mexico, plus another 40 dollars of shipment, which will lend me to a 46% percent more expensive flash, so it's even better to buy here.

Yes, I live in a poor, yet, expensive country, sadly reality haha.

I just bought the Sony A350 with the Sigma 18 to 50mm F. 2.8 macro and I am waiting for the Sigma 70 to 200mm f. 2.8 which will be coming out in April.

I find the autofocus quite fast and I understand faster than the Canon according to the write ups. The new approach to live view is great with no lag time or black out and I am use to tilt LCD on one of my other cameras so that is super too.

skieur

I like a lot the A200 because it's compatible with Minolta

The A200 is compatible with Minolta Maxxum lenses but not with
your Minolta X300 lenses. Minolta AF lenses use an entirely different
mount from their manual focus lenses.

The A200 is compatible with Minolta Maxxum lenses but not with
your Minolta X300 lenses. Minolta AF lenses use an entirely different
mount from their manual focus lenses.

I know that.

By the way, I thought about buying an A300, but at the end I decided that the around 250 dollars that they will charge me here where too much for live preview, even when the Sony implementation rules.

I "upgraded" from a Minolta 7D to a Canon 30D. And well, what a disappointment!
The focus is faster, and the lens I got for the canon are USM, so it's a pleasure to focus, but talking about Image Quality, really, there is almost no improvement if any... the definition is a little higher, but that's all... 6 to 8Mp... I wanted an improvement in low light performance, I saw some test that said the 30D was so good at high ISO, but that's really bull****. The test are made in JPEG, but the RAW is aweful! my minolta was doing better at ISO 800 than the 30D at ISO 400...

Considering the alphas are the successor of the Minolta 5D and 7D, really, if they are cheaper in your country, then go for the sony!
I used a alpha 100 and really liked it. It felt like a lower version than the 7D, the 7D is semi pro when the alpha 100 200 300 are entry level, the 700 is the semi pro version, but the difference in image quality is not very hight, it's more about the built and options ;)
Stil I would rather go for the 700 if I had to go for a sony, but I'm more considering about selling my 7D (I still need better in low light) and 30D to get either a Pentax K20D or a Canon 5D...
The 5D is far more expensive, and older, and as I'm a little disapointed with Canons... But well, I have 2 primes I could use on the 5D...
The K20D is not as good as the 5D in low light, but seems good enough for me, better than my 30D and 7D: can shoot at ISO 800 without much noise, 1600 and 3200 with noise, but "manageable" (like what I got in ISO 800 with the 30D and 7D, it's noisy, but ok that's manageable).
With the 30D in ISO 1600, the noise is unaceptable. And I'm using the RAW, I just can't do anything because the definition is badly affected.
This is taken with the 30D: http://www.thirrouard.com/divers/zenphoto/maclan17/
some photography were taken in ISO1600, it's pretty easy to see, it's dark and when you watch even in modest size you can't see the details on the face...
it's REALLY grainy and I had to put in black and white because the colors were aweful and noise ninja wouldn't do the trick...

So yeah, don't listen to people who talk about Canon and Nikon like gods. They aren't.
They just are brand, and Pentax and Sony are very good brands too.
The only "bad" brand for now is Olympus, because they use very tiny sensor, and right now it's just a stupid strategy... less bokeh, less sensitivity... when we see everybody else go for FF...

If you're deciding on a Canon, look at a 30D You can get them for $799USD new at bhphotovideo.com and you can find them for probably $600-$700 used and in very good condition.

It's superior to the XTI. I'm not sure about the Sony specs but the 30D is 8mp, has spot metering, 5 fps, faster AF (than the xti), a top LCD, scroll wheel for much more intuitive controls, and other things that make it a very, very good camera for a good price. It's the last gen of the XXD series as the 40D just came out, but it's by no means an underperformer.

Sony just announced that they developed a FF sensor not that long ago, so if they put it in a DSLR, they'll be set for catering to a pro market. You really can't go wrong with most any system out there.

:meh:

Well, you do realize that any under exposed image at a high ISO will show a mass amount of noise?

Just jacking the ISO up won't cure the fact that there's not enough light in the venue.

Next time, try shooting a properly exposed image at 1600 ISO and then check it out before you start complaining about the noise being too much.. Most all of the really grainy shots in your gallery are under exposed and that's why there's a ton of noise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back