Canon Rebel

Picksure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My Sister has let me have her Canon Reble EOS xs to use for a while. I have a couple questions. What is the "star" button for on the top right of the back of the camera? What is the best film speed to use for out door (sunny) photos?

Also I have tried to find an on-line manual for the camera without any luck, does anyone know a link?

I have been using a Panasonic FZ-10 for about 8 months and I am curious to use a film camera.
Any help or tips on using this camera would help.

Thanks.

The star, i can't remember exactly, i though it had something to do with metering, i'll check when i go to work today.

As far as film speed for outdoor sunny pics. If you know you have the light, go for a 100iso something around that area. If your taking action you might want to make it a 200 or 400. Its all a matter of what your shooting.

I usually for color use Fuji NPS160 or black/white i use Fuji Acros 100

-Ryan

ADjust the ISO up untill your minimum shutter speeds are met. Keep it low as you can manage though to reduce noise. That would be my sugesstion.

panchromatic said:
The star, i can't remember exactly, i though it had something to do with metering, i'll check when i go to work today.

As far as film speed for outdoor sunny pics. If you know you have the light, go for a 100iso something around that area. If your taking action you might want to make it a 200 or 400. Its all a matter of what your shooting.

I usually for color use Fuji NPS160 or black/white i use Fuji Acros 100

-Ryan

Thanks for the info, now get to work and find out about that star for me. ;)

I believe that the star button activates partial metering. Normal metering is probably matrix (overall) maybe center weighted. When you push the star button, the camera's meter only meters the center part of the frame. It will be the center area and not the exact center spot (this camera does not have spot metering).

You would use this in a situation where you want to expose for something specific that is different from it's surroundings. For example, a person standing in front of a dark background. You would want to get a metering from just the person to expose them properly rather than just an average of the whole scene.

Look through the viewfinder and notice how the exposure readings change when you press the star button in different situations.

Thanks Mike. I just talked to my sis and she is going to look for the manual for the camera. I have never used a SLR camera before, and I cant wait to try it.

-20°c is just too cold for me to go out and try this camera today :x .

Actually, if it's like the button on my Canon ELAN 7N, it's the AE (auto exposure) lock button, which means it will lock it on a certain exposure when you press the button, instead of changing the exposure as the lighting changes before the shot. This is useful for metering something like a backlit subject where you only want to expose for the object and not the lighting around it. For this you would fill the frame with just the object you're metering, then press the AE lock button, and then back up to frame however you want to. This way it will not underexpose the subject as it will have metered just for it.

Most reactions

Back