Canon S5 a good camera for a beginner?

Brutus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently posted a thread about my first time trying to take serious pictures, not just messing around, while on a trip. The camera I used is a Caon S1, 3.2megapixels, and I'm not too satisfied with the image quality. I'm looking for an upgraded camera, but not a super expensive or a super nice one. So far, I've been looking at the Canon S5. 8mp, 12x optical zoom, and good macro. I don't want to spend too much on additional lessons, but I don't know enough about cameras to really sort through the tons of choices.

I'd recommend the G9 over the S5, but I've never been a fan of the S series. I owned the S3 for a few days and returned it because it just didn't do what I wanted it to. Also, it's got a pretty bad shutter delay on it, as compared to some of the newer point and shoots.

If you don't mind the shutter lag, it can do almost everything the G9 can, with more zoom. It entirely depends on what kind of photos you intend to be taking with it.

Hm, the G9 is almost $100 more, but it's 12.1 megapixels and I don't need excessive zoom. I'm assuming the G9 is still good for macro. I'll have to think about it.

Any other cameras I should be looking at for under $400?

I have the S5 IS & consider it more than just a point & shoot although you have that option if you wish. In my opinion it is just short of a DSLR. If you search my posts you will see examples of what this camera can produce. I offer this example:

Wingdetail.jpg

I agree with Ron, the S5 is a great camera. I've had mine for about a month and I can't say enough about it. The macro is better than on the G9 and it has double the zoom. The Manual modes give you pretty much SLR like control. True there is a slight shutter delay but it is less so than the other P&S cameras in the same range. Canon makes add-on lenses for it and it has a hot shoe for a ring or slave flash so there's room to expand as your skills develope. Here's a couple I took with mine:

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

Very nice photos! I was planning on taking plenty of macros, and it's good to know it takes good ones (I already knew about being able to supposedly focus on things touching the lens).

I have the S3 and wish it was an S5!

I think it's a great choice.

The shutter delay problem mentioned above is not an issue - especially if you master the half way down approach (which you should with any P&S. More info here if you're confused by this comment: http://www.jimsdigitaldiary.com/halfwaydown.html)

The fact that this series uses the same quality glass as Canon's L series lenses, and that they're built on a magnesium frame ... well, they're just so far superior in a lot of ways to most cameras in this class.

I like the G9 as well. But, for my day-to-day shooting I Love the S3 (and would love the S5 even more!)

From what I've heard and seen, the S5 is a great camera, however I would recommend the Nikon D40 or D50. I got my D40 kit for about $400 on ebay, Nikon Refurbished. The D40 is only about $50 more than the S5 refurbished, and IMO it is worth the investment. I almost went with the S5 but was very glad I did not.

If you were to get a DSLR, I recommend the D50. The D40 is newer, has higher ISO, and has in camera D-Lighting, however 3 focus points and lack of an in-body AF motor are severely limiting. I almost with I went with a D50. I even believe the D50s are cheaper than the D40s, but I'm not sure. I'll have to look into that.

Bottom line is, if you're looking for a great beginner camera with a budget of $400, go with a used or refurb D40 or D50 kit. That extra $50 will go miles in terms of IQ and lens compatibility.

From what I've heard and seen, the S5 is a great camera, however I would recommend the Nikon D40 or D50. I got my D40 kit for about $400 on ebay, Nikon Refurbished. The D40 is only about $50 more than the S5 refurbished, and IMO it is worth the investment. I almost went with the S5 but was very glad I did not.

If you were to get a DSLR, I recommend the D50. The D40 is newer, has higher ISO, and has in camera D-Lighting, however 3 focus points and lack of an in-body AF motor are severely limiting. I almost with I went with a D50. I even believe the D50s are cheaper than the D40s, but I'm not sure. I'll have to look into that.

Bottom line is, if you're looking for a great beginner camera with a budget of $400, go with a used or refurb D40 or D50 kit. That extra $50 will go miles in terms of IQ and lens compatibility.

If I do that, I can always buy a macro lens as well.

Now, I see that the D50 is only 6.1mp, as opposed to the S5's 8mp, but how will the image quality be between the two? I realize that the amount of megapixels isn't the only factor, but I'm not sure of the others I need to consider, but would the D50 have equally good image quality?

Now, I see that the D50 is only 6.1mp, as opposed to the S5's 8mp, but how will the image quality be between the two?
SLR's have much bigger sensors, so the 6.1mp is like a 12mp on a P&S.
Also, the 200mm kit is 300mm in 35mm on the D40.
S5 has a hot shoe and swivel LCD.

Panasonic
FZ18K – 8mp, 28-504mm, $310(B&H)
FZ28K – 10mp, 27-486mm - $400(B&H)

Canon
S5 IS – 8mp, 36-432mm, $330
hot shoe, rotatable LCD, AA, SD.

Fujifilm
S700 – 7mp, 38mm-380mm, $160(B&H)
S1000fd – 10mp, 33-396mm, - $200(Adorama)
S8100fd – 10mp, 27-486mm, - $330(B&H)

Kodak
Z8612 IS – 8mp, 36-432mm, - $205(B&H)
Z1015 IS – 10mp, 28-420mm, HD(1280 × 720) -
Z1012 IS – 10mp, 33-396mm, HD(1280 × 720) - $250(J&R)
Z812 IS – 8mp, 36-432mm, HD(1280 × 720)

Nikon
P80 – 10mp, 27mm-486mm, - $400(B&H)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back