Canon S5 a good camera for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Brutus, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Brutus

Brutus TPF Noob!

I recently posted a thread about my first time trying to take serious pictures, not just messing around, while on a trip. The camera I used is a Caon S1, 3.2megapixels, and I'm not too satisfied with the image quality. I'm looking for an upgraded camera, but not a super expensive or a super nice one. So far, I've been looking at the Canon S5. 8mp, 12x optical zoom, and good macro. I don't want to spend too much on additional lessons, but I don't know enough about cameras to really sort through the tons of choices.

2. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you can find it, the S5 is a great point 'n shoot. It's got much better IQ than the S1 did. I'd highly recommend it.

3. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd recommend the G9 over the S5, but I've never been a fan of the S series. I owned the S3 for a few days and returned it because it just didn't do what I wanted it to. Also, it's got a pretty bad shutter delay on it, as compared to some of the newer point and shoots.

If you don't mind the shutter lag, it can do almost everything the G9 can, with more zoom. It entirely depends on what kind of photos you intend to be taking with it.

4. Brutus

Brutus TPF Noob!

Hm, the G9 is almost $100 more, but it's 12.1 megapixels and I don't need excessive zoom. I'm assuming the G9 is still good for macro. I'll have to think about it.

5. Brutus

Brutus TPF Noob!

Any other cameras I should be looking at for under $400?

6. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    I have the S5 IS & consider it more than just a point & shoot although you have that option if you wish. In my opinion it is just short of a DSLR. If you search my posts you will see examples of what this camera can produce. I offer this example:

[​IMG]

7. Bigfatts

Bigfatts TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with Ron, the S5 is a great camera. I've had mine for about a month and I can't say enough about it. The macro is better than on the G9 and it has double the zoom. The Manual modes give you pretty much SLR like control. True there is a slight shutter delay but it is less so than the other P&S cameras in the same range. Canon makes add-on lenses for it and it has a hot shoe for a ring or slave flash so there's room to expand as your skills develope. Here's a couple I took with mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Brutus

Brutus TPF Noob!

Very nice photos! I was planning on taking plenty of macros, and it's good to know it takes good ones (I already knew about being able to supposedly focus on things touching the lens).

9. Rachelsne

Rachelsne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had the S3 and loved it, I upgraded now to a dslr, but had the s3 for a couple of years.

10. Sandspur

Sandspur TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the S3 and wish it was an S5!

I think it's a great choice.

The shutter delay problem mentioned above is not an issue - especially if you master the half way down approach (which you should with any P&S. More info here if you're confused by this comment: http://www.jimsdigitaldiary.com/halfwaydown.html)

The fact that this series uses the same quality glass as Canon's L series lenses, and that they're built on a magnesium frame ... well, they're just so far superior in a lot of ways to most cameras in this class.

I like the G9 as well. But, for my day-to-day shooting I Love the S3 (and would love the S5 even more!)

11. Sandspur

Sandspur TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    From what I've heard and seen, the S5 is a great camera, however I would recommend the Nikon D40 or D50. I got my D40 kit for about $400 on ebay, Nikon Refurbished. The D40 is only about $50 more than the S5 refurbished, and IMO it is worth the investment. I almost went with the S5 but was very glad I did not.

If you were to get a DSLR, I recommend the D50. The D40 is newer, has higher ISO, and has in camera D-Lighting, however 3 focus points and lack of an in-body AF motor are severely limiting. I almost with I went with a D50. I even believe the D50s are cheaper than the D40s, but I'm not sure. I'll have to look into that.

Bottom line is, if you're looking for a great beginner camera with a budget of $400, go with a used or refurb D40 or D50 kit. That extra $50 will go miles in terms of IQ and lens compatibility.