Canon s90?

xsouthpawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well. I'm thinking about buying a new camera. Originally I was thinking about getting a budget/beginner's DSLR. But then I don't think I'd really like to lug around something of that size all day. (I'm thinking about bringing it to school for those "moment" shots. Currently I have a Canon SD600 (6mp. It's about 3 years old I think) But I want to move on with more advanced settings like aperture priority and such. Would the Canon s90 be a good choice? Or would a DSLR or another bridge / prosumer camera fit my needs? Thanks in advance

I would suggest going straight to a DSLR. You can spend just as much money on a prosumer camera and then in a few months (or whenever), if you want more control, you have to shell out another couple hundred.

I started with the D40 and I LOVE it. The kit lens isn't too big but if you wanted something smaller, you could get a 50mm or so prime lens. I take my D40 everywhere, it's never really posed a size issue. I bought a small case that only holds the camera with attached lens, a few SD cards and a filter or two.

Thank you.
Are there any other camera alternatives out there? (for dslr or bridge)
My budget caps at $500 or so.
I'm willing to go above that but only if it provides substantial benefits over other cameras

Nikon P6000
Canon G9/G10
Panasonic LX3

All of these have been out for a while and have good reviews with the Canon usually coming out the winner for one reason or another.

Sidenote:
A good small lens for the D40/D60/D3000/D5000 would be the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 as it will auto focus on those bodies and runs only $199 brand new.

The S90 should be included in that list as well.. it is the newest contender in the highend point and shoot.

But..

I wouldn't consider any high end P&S an adequate replacement for a DSLR... just something to compliment.

Should be, and might be down the road - but those are tried and true candidates, the S90 is just too new to have run through the bases, and what I've seen so far hasn't been all that great for the price compared to the ones I listed.

yeh.. I understand it is "too new" but on paper (at least) it does fall in the same market (high end P&S) and in particular does allow a good amount of control and outputs in raw. Along with other high ends that usually are not mentioned (ricoh, sigma, etc.).

I've seen so far hasn't been all that great for the price compared to the ones I listed.

Curious.. do you have links? As for the price, the S90 is the cheapest in your list.

btw.. I shoot with the LX3.. its a great for a P&S!

$430 vs $499

Of course everything I see tonight is pretty favorable :lol: I swear just a week or two ago it was 3.5/5 at most places.

The Internet is a weird thing.

well. I was wondering if I should be pointed towards a higher end p&s or dslr? I am looking at doing some low light photography, which was why I chose s90 (it's f 2.0) Thank you again though :)

low light photography,

Go with DSLR... there isn't a P&S (even high end) that can match low-light performance of a DSLR because of the size of the sensors.

LX3 also has a f/2.0 lens ... wider than the S90.. but I'd go with DSLR. My LX3 only compliments .. it doesn't replace my primary camera system.

Sorry. I'm not trying to be a pain. (This is an ongoing argument in my head as well) But I'm also a bit concerned with the "portability" of a dslr. The main purpose of me buying a camera was to upgrade from the ps. And I would like to bring it where I go. (I'm still in high school)

let me think ,Canon 500D,do you like it?

Most reactions

Back