canon scams? I REALLY want the Canon 60D!

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It took me 3 weeks just deciding on a speedlite. I finally got the speedlite, ready to sell my starter Canon t3 and REALLY want the canon 60D. I have been searching for the best prices until blue in the face. I keep running across sites such as this one that seem 'to good to be true." Any thoughts? And where in your opinion is the best place to get the 60D? I know I am dreaming, but would like to get it for $899, kit lens to 135mm included. This is the site I am leary of:

FirstClassCameras.com

$899 is about the standard discount price for a 60D Body only. To fing it with a kit lens for that price would be a steal.
What has made you settle for the 60D? For about $400 more you can buy a 7D, which I think would be a bigger step up for you. The 7D doesnt have the swivel lcd, but I didnt see that as too important.

$899 is about the standard discount price for a 60D Body only. To fing it with a kit lens for that price would be a steal.
What has made you settle for the 60D? For about $400 more you can buy a 7D, which I think would be a bigger step up for you. The 7D doesnt have the swivel lcd, but I didnt see that as too important.

I would love the 7D, but I'm already trying to come up with $400 and more to upgrade to the 60D. Sure wish money grew on trees. Spent my birthday money on a speedlite. Now trying to sell stuff on Craigslist to get the money to upgrade.

Ah, got ya. I can understand that. I would be afraid of any online store that offered a new, 60D, with ANY lens for $899.00. There are so many bait and switch companies online these days. You place your order for the super deal and then you get a phone call or email explaining that the one you ordered just ran out of stock. Been there, done that. As they always say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I have never heard of or dealt with that company, but I would stick with one of the main dealers, like B&H, Adorama, 47th ST, etc. I have dealt with GetItDigital a few times and had good experiences. Good luck on your quest.

I was torn between the 60d and 7d myself.... I went ahead with the 7d and LOVE it. If you can swing it, o for the 7d

Hold out for the 7d its worth the wait to save.

I was torn between the 60d and 7d myself.... I went ahead with the 7d and LOVE it. If you can swing it, o for the 7d

I would LOVE the 7D, but I also like the 60D. Ugg, guess I need to save and scrape change from the many handbags I have ;)

I would LOVE the 7D, but I also like the 60D. Ugg, guess I need to save and scrape change from the many handbags I have ;)
I have the 7D and love it. I think you will be glad you waited and saved in the long run. My mama always said, "Good things come to those who wait".

I have the 7D and love it. I think you will be glad you waited and saved in the long run. My mama always said, "Good things come to those who wait".

True!

Have any of you guys even asked her what she'll be using it for? OP, what will you be using it for? If it's an everyday walk around camera for portraits, landscapes, etc. you may not need the extra FPS of the 7d.

The 7D doesn't fit everyone's needs or budget. It is a niche camera geared towards sports/outdoor shooters. I'll concede the build quality is better than the 60d and it is a great camera. But she's already expressed the 60d price itself is a stretch. So obviously the 7d is not realistic from a budgetary standpoint.

OP, I have a 60d and I've really enjoyed it. If you do get the 60d, you're going to see a huge upgrade in a number of things. You'll have the ability to shoot video (which you don't have now). You'll have a much bigger buffer for continuous shooting and much faster (2fps RAW vs 5.2fps RAW). You'll have a higher max resolution (12mp vs 18mp). You'll probably enjoy the articulated screen as it does come in handy in a lot of situations. Overall the t3 to a 60d is a solid upgrade in just about every way imaginable. Here's a full comparison:

Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review

4 more $100 photoshoots would get you there.
Or 8 $50 shoots.
Or 16 $25 shoots.

Throw up that Facebook page!

Just sayin'.

firstclasscameras.com is registered through go daddy and are done through the privacy company "Contact Privacy Inc." out of Toronto, Ontario. In other words, they paid to keep their domain registrant info a secret.

You can try to contact them by going to http://www.contactprivacy.com, but their very basic, opening page states:

"Welcome to contactprivacy.com

Use this site to contact the owner of a domain name protected by the WHOIS Privacy Service. This service protects the privacy of domain name holders in the WHOIS system.

Please note that domain name owners are not obligated to respond to requests."

So take that to mean you can ask, but probably won't get a response.

I'll bet money they're a bait & switch set up. There are tons of reports, blogs, etc on the net about these kinds of businesses. They advertise crazy low prices, but then you end up getting phone calls to "verify" your order only to find out your camera doesn't include all the normal basic parts, like a battery and charger, etc and they attempt to upsell you. When you decline their highly inflated extras your order is suddenly cancelled, or put on back order.

I'd avoid this place for sure. They're hiding for a reason.

Run away, far away.... Then got to B&H and buy from them.

Paying to keep your registration info secret means nothing.
I pay to keep mine secret too.

Most reactions

Back