Canon SD700 Elph (Stupid questions)

Rroo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Canon SD700 Elph question
I am just trying to become fimiliar with my new Canon Powershot SD700 IS Digital Elph as this is my first digital camera. I am not very camera 'literate' so I am writing out simple instructions for use and have a couple questions.

How do you know how many pictures you have on the card?
and what does it mean if the light is orange?
To use Macro (for things really small or close up) do you have to have the camera in manual mode or will it work in auto as well? I can't seem to get it to work.

Any other tips are muchly appreciated too!!

Thanks so much!

The number of pictures on the card is normally displayed when you view them in most cameras, this along with your next question is really something that you should look up in the manual.

As for the macro feature, all cameras have a minimum focus distance and are limited by how close they can get. Try getting progressively further away until the picture actually focuses.

I have that camera so I can help you out.

1) The orange light means you have to hold the camera as still as possible as the camera automatically set the shutter speed a little longer. If you don't hold it still you will have blurry photos.
2) To find out how many pics you have remaining press display until a number appears in the lower right hand corner. That is the number of pics you have left.
3) Macro mode can be used in Auto or Manual. Just press the flower button.

Thank you so much for your response!!

I wish my camera came with a 'Instructions for Dummies' book because I have a couple more questions.
Can anyone explain ISO to me please?
and also, what is the difference between macro and digital macro?

Thanks again!

ISO is the sensitivity of the camera's sensor (or film). The numbers/scale are the same as those used for film; ISO 100, 200, 400 etc.

Basically...the higher the ISO, the more sensitive to light it is. With a higher ISO, the camera can use a faster 'shutter speed'. A faster shutter speed is good...you need a faster shutter speed to freeze moving subjects or to avoid blurry shots when the light is not very bright.

There is a trade off though. The higher the ISO, more digital noise/grain will show up in the images. With little cameras like that, ISO 400 is probably as high as you want to go...(if you even can go any higher...the results would probably be poor).

Macro is used my camera makers as a catch word for 'close up'. When you put the camera into macro mode, it should allow you to focus on things that are very close to the camera...allowing you to get 'close up'. I'm not sure...but I would guess that 'digital macro' just means that the camera trims the image and enlarges the middle...thus giving you the impression that you are close up. The problem is that image quality goes out the window when you do that...just like 'digital zoom'.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back