Canon SLR, can anyone recommend one?

Tkraz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pesfan.com
As recommended elsewhere in this forum, I am considering in the long term purchasing a Digital SLR , but in the meantime till I can raise the funds for such an investment ;) I shall be getting myself a Film SLR. And like I said, as someone has recommended on here to another poster, it is worth considering long term the make of Digital you want and then purchasing a film camera of the same make, so that when you make the leap you have lenses waiting to go.

So can anyone recommend me a good Canon SLR as I am relatively (very :D) new to a lot of this.

Much Obliged
Tam

I would highly recommend a Canon Ti, which I had for a while. For 209 dollars including a decent 28-90mm lens at Adorama, you cannot go wrong. Granted, the body is not really titanium, but the autofocus is lightning fast, and it is overall a great camera.

Nice one! Thanks mate :)

Now I am in the UK so do I have to purchase a UK camera or is there no difference between ordering from a US site and a UK one?

I ask as the US prices seem to be very much down on the UK ones which are much more expensive!

Thanks again :D

Well, the UK version of the camera is called the 300v (and the JP version is called the Kiss 5). However, I am pretty sure they are the exact same camera.

Maybe somebody more knowledgable about this would know what the advantages would be to buying a UK version.

I second the opinion of an EOS5. Mine has been great.

That is a great advanced-amatuer camera. But good luck finding one new. ;)

They've been discontinued for a few years. There are some good used ones to be had. They have some features that aren't always easy to come by such as mirror lock up, DOF preview, pc socket for external flash as well as the usual things.

It looks like a good deal at that price. Especially with the Verticle grip. I keep hearing that's a must have option from anyone that's used one.

If you want an advanced amateur with slightly better quality/feel than the rebel ti, look into an elan 7n (what I ended up buying)... It's called EOS 33v in europe. One version has "eye-controlled focus point selection" which seems like a waste of time and adds $100 to the price here, whatever that is in UK pounds - so don't bother with that unless you really think you'd use it. I like that the controls are much more nicely laid out than the rebel, it's more solid feeling, and has mirror lock-up and pretty much any other feature you'd want.

It does cost a bit more than the rebel though, so figure out if its worth it for you.

One thing to keep in mind about buying a new film camera is that may not hold their value as well as they did in the past. In the case of my EOS 5's, I was able to sell them both for what I paid for them three years ago. With the new film bodies, not only do you have to worry about depreciation from buying new, but also the impact digital is having on the market. It's good to be thinking of resale value, as we rarely keep utility bodies forever (as opposed to collectables).

Most reactions

Back