Canon SLR Crew: Need a new rig

B-Line

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The unthinkable happened... When I moved, one of my camera bags disappeared. Even though it was an older body, my trusted 40D and 28-105L has gone missing.

I need a new camera, I need a new lens, I need some recommendations.

My usage:
I am building a hot yoga, hot fitness studio which I am the owner. I want body/lenses that I can use for all ranges of media. Social networking, print, short videos/commercials, etc.
I need a rugged body that can work in HIGH heat (95-105 degrees) and even more importantly, can withstand HIGH humidity (30%-50% humidity).

No onboard flash, right? Guess I'll also have to get an external.

I used to be more of a camera geek 15 years ago. Used to shoot some studio work but it's been a long time and I was never extremely technical. Maybe an advanced intermediate.

Because I'm buying this gear for my new business where images are SOOO important, I don't mind investing a good bit into a well rounded package.

My gear that survived the move:
Canon 70-200is 2.8L
Canon 85mm EF 1.8

I think I will order:
5DS R
Not sure what lens to buy? Canon? Sigma? Tamron?
Which lens?

I know budget is always the first question. I'd be prepared to spend up to $10,000 to have a well rounded package.
- Should I go prime and forget zoom?
- With the new low light stuff, do I really need uber fast lenses (depth of f of course I know is important.)
- I usually like battery grips for vertical shooting. Do I buy Canon Grip or another manufacturer?

Thanks in advance

The 5DS R might be the latest and greatest but it has already been said this is not a low light camera native ISO is only 6400 meaning usable color images at 800-1600 and maybe some B&W at 3200. Also it is not really a video camera.

If you are looking for low light and weather sealed you want the 5D3 but if you are looking for a newer body wait for the 5D4.

Lenses: I love my Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, great quality, well built, sharp images, and VC mostly for video. I would pick up a Canon 16-35 2.8, Tamron 24-70 2.8, a few speed lights and some continuous lights for video, Tripod, and if you are going to interviews a Rode video mic.

Interesting. So you think I'm better off with the 5DIII rather than the 5DS R? I just assumed the 5DS R was everything the 5DIII was but newer and better?

In terms of "low light" -- How low is low? If I haven't purchased a new camera body since 2006, I would assume that the range of 800-1600 is vastly greater than it was on the 40D.. No?

So the 5DIII is better for low light and video? But they are both weather sealed?

How do they handle high heat? Do they get hot and shut down like an iphone?

I don't really have the option of waiting. My yoga studio is being built and I want to start documenting.

If I do buy the 5DIII, should I skip the bundle (24-105 F/4L IS)

Yes sensor technology has gotten better but there is a big difference from a 40D APS-C sensor to a 5D3 with a FF. 5D3 have a native ISO of ISO 100-25600, so I am able to get usable color photos at around ISO 6400. Low light is hard to say, but if you are shooting indoors with normal overhead lights that is low light. And most of the time you will be around 400-1600 even with fast glass 2.8.

This is what Canon says for both:
Working Temperature Range
32-104°F/0-40°C
Working Humidity Range
85% or less
I have got my 5D3 pretty hot internal temp of 100-103f/38-39C and it didn't shut off but I turned if off.

The 24-105 f4 is a nice lenses but it is slow at f4 and is a little soft.

I'd go:
5DIII (~2500)
24-70 f/2.8 IS II L (~1900)
TS-E 17mm f/4 L (~2100)
100mm f/2.8 L macro (~900)
Canon 600X speedlight (~500X2)
Speedlight softbox ~(50X2)

That's right around 8600 if I added it all up right, which should leave space for random accessories and other lighting stuff you may need.

Sorry I miss this, yes both cameras shot HD 1080p video but the 5Dsr doesn't have a headphone jack. 5Ds and r are really meant for studio work.
Check this out

Great info.. I'm learning...

1DX: $5300
24-70 f/2.8 IS II L: $1900
Speedlights: $1000
Softboxes $100
Pocketwizard remote triggers $300

Why the 1Dx over the 5DIII?

1DX: $5300
24-70 f/2.8 IS II L: $1900
Speedlights: $1000
Softboxes $100
Pocketwizard remote triggers $300
why get a 1DX in this scenario? Yoga isn't exactly a fast moving sport.

why get a 1DX in this scenario? Yoga isn't exactly a fast moving sport.

Not just yoga.. Also bootcamp, TRX... Etc. Think fitness classes rather than just yoga.

Also, I thought the new canons had pocket wizard triggers built into them ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back