Canon SLR

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I see brands like Rebel, different versions of Rebel, Elan etc. Which one is a better equipment?

Really depends what your looking for mate.

I looked into the EOS 1000v...which is your versions of a Rebel 1000..it looks good, but apparently feels kinda plasitcy, and looks rather ugly I feel.

Check out the entire line up at http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/f_camera.html

Basically, the Rebel series of EOS cameras are the entry level, consumer cameras. They are smaller & lighter but have more plastic parts than the more expensive EOS cameras.

The Elan EOS cameras are a step up. They are built a little more sturdy, they have more advanced functions & options than the Rebels.

The next step is pro series cameras. The EOS 3, the EOS 1 series etc. Very sturdy, made to take the use & abuse that a pro would need. Faster motor drive for a higher framers per second rate. More advanced metering.

If you look at the European names (numbers)...the lower the number...the better the camera.

danalec99 said:
different versions of Rebel, Elan etc. Which one is a better equipment?

Mostly it's a marketing game, IMHO. The differences between many of the models are subtle and mostly cosmetic. Sometimes you do get some trickle down technology from a camera up the money chain, but it is in their best interest to make sure that they don't give you too much at the entry level, otherwise why would you be tempted to buy the mid-level camera next year? They come out with a "new" model that looks slightly different every year or so, to keep up with the other brands (who are doing the exact same thing). Be sure to closely examine the features list (and notice what is not on the features list) when picking any particular model or brand.

Big Mike said:
Check out the entire line up at http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/f_camera.html

Basically, the Rebel series of EOS cameras are the entry level, consumer cameras. They are smaller & lighter but have more plastic parts than the more expensive EOS cameras.

The Elan EOS cameras are a step up. They are built a little more sturdy, they have more advanced functions & options than the Rebels.

The next step is pro series cameras. The EOS 3, the EOS 1 series etc. Very sturdy, made to take the use & abuse that a pro would need. Faster motor drive for a higher framers per second rate. More advanced metering.

If you look at the European names (numbers)...the lower the number...the better the camera.

That was what I needed; thanks Big Mike.

ksmattfish said:
Mostly it's a marketing game, IMHO.

True!

I can see that with the 300D and 10D. Apart from the shell and "bursts per sec', the difference is very minimal or zero!

I don't even have enough interest to look myself, but does the "Ti" in "Rebel Ti" refer to some sort of actual titanium construction, or to the faux ti plastic body?

One thing that ELAN and pro cameras have that Rebels don't is the thumb wheel on the back. From what I hear, once you use a camera with one...you won't want to use one without it.

Besides the wheel, there are things like AEC, FEC, MLU, 2nd curtain sync & custom functions that make me want an ELAN over a Rebel.

What burns my britches is that 1/250th flash synch, MLU, and rear curtain synch are technologies over 30 years old. Why don't all modern SLRs have them? Why are modern entry level SLRs losing features (such as manual ISO, cable release, etc...)?

ksmattfish said:
What burns my britches is that 1/250th flash synch, MLU, and rear curtain synch are technologies over 30 years old. Why don't all modern SLRs have them? Why are modern entry level SLRs losing features (such as manual ISO, cable release, etc...)?

As you said...they disable their entry level cameras so that the consumer has to shell out for the features they want.

It's a dirty way to do business but it seems that they all do it. :x

Big Mike said:
One thing that ELAN and pro cameras have that Rebels don't is the thumb wheel on the back. From what I hear, once you use a camera with one...you won't want to use one without it.

Besides the wheel, there are things like AEC, FEC, MLU, 2nd curtain sync & custom functions that make me want an ELAN over a Rebel.

Eye controlled focuson the Elan 7E. I think that is the coolest feature I've ever seen on a camera.

hobbes28 said:
Eye controlled focuson the Elan 7E. I think that is the coolest feature I've ever seen on a camera.

From what I hear people saying...it's a really cool feature that never gets used.

Big Mike said:
hobbes28 said:

From what I hear people saying...it's a really cool feature that never gets used.

They are building TVs that have eye control now. Your eyeball becomes the remote.

From what I've heard and read, you either love the eye-control, or you turn it off. Every user review I've read either loved or hated it. No middle ground it seems.

Most reactions

Back