Canon software, for what?

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I havent installed any of that stuff and iu dont know if i even should. With my camera there where two "EOS digital Solution disc v13.1", one where it says EFS on the side and the other noted with EIG(whats the difference?) and one CD titled "EOS Digital Software Instruction manual Disk". If i have Photoshop, do i still need any of this?

I don't use any of the Canon software because, like you, i have photshop.

However, i think the software is used for converting RAW images into a format windows can read, if you don't have PS.

"EOS Digital Software Instruction manual Disk".

well, sounds like manuals on that one ;)

If i have Photoshop, do i still need any of this?

some nice tools there from canon. for remote capturing, or for browsing your images quite comfortably.

since you have all that, why not try it out? it doesn't cost you anything and you might like some of the tools :p

Darich, i dont seem to understand about this whole RAW thing. When i plug up the camera onto the CPU, the pics come out as jpg automatically. Whats the thing about RAW anyway?

When i plug up the camera onto the CPU,

wonder how that would look like :p

the pics come out as jpg automatically. Whats the thing about RAW anyway?

if you don't tell the camera to save the images as raw while shooting, then you won't get any raw when downloading them from the camera since there are no raw files on your CF card.

you can also tell the camera to take both raw and jpg simultaneously.

I know, i need to get me a card reader;) So whats the deal with raw format? This is my first digicam so please bare with me..

I know, i need to get me a card reader;) So whats the deal with raw format? This is my first digicam so please bare with me..

jpg: camera makes all the adjustments, applies all the curves, after the image is captured by the sensor. an 8-bit jpg is produced.

raw: you do all this on your computer, which gives you more freedom. white balance can be applied in post processing and all. raw is 12-bit in colour depth, which also allows for better brightening up of darker parts in the image.

Ok, as soon as i figure out how to switch it to raw, it will be done..heh..

Ok, as soon as i figure out how to switch it to raw, it will be done..heh..

but keep in mind that shooting raw is a bit like processing your own film ... hence it takes some time from the camera to the final image.

but then again, if you do post-processing anyway, starting with raw will not make much difference in terms of effort .

manuals don't help much here ... web-tutorials or books are usually way better.

sincere, R.T.F.M. = Read The Freaking Manual (EOS Digital Software Instruction Manual Disk) AlexB, In most cases you are correct however the EOS Digital Software Instruction Manual Disk is very helpful when it comes to understanding what the different pieces of software do and how to accomplish several tasks. Some that can only be done with the software, such as naming you camera. I have all the Canon software for my 30D installed, PS CS2, Thumbs Plus Viewer and a couple of others. All have their place in my workflow with PS being the most important of them.

Hi sincere,
I have recently got Canon 400D (3xCD included: software, manual and EOS tour stuff). I'm also PS user, however the Canon Software is great if you wanted to do some work on RAW files produced by your Canon camera. There are as many RAW file types as many is digital camera produces, hence your Canon RAW file will not be visible in Photoshop at all. I usually take shots in RAW only which gives me the opportunity to amend (correct) them easily in Canon "Digital Photo Professional" or browse photos in "ZoomBrowser EX".

I personally would recomment Canon Software for quick and easy jobs on RAW files as well as for easy browsing of your photos.

Most reactions

Back