Canon Speedlite 430EX

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Stevedevil, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Stevedevil

Stevedevil TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Has anyone a suggestion of a good camera mount transmitter that will fire the Canon speedlite 430EX and also be able to fire Studio Flash???

The Speedlite has a wireless feature, so am looking for a package that can be used where it will fire a strobe and the speedlite, as cant afford the strobes at the moment, but want something to fire both in the future.

Pay Once is My Motto

Cheers

Steve

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pocket wizards are the most recommended brand that I see...but they are not cheap...very reliable though.

There is a difference here. The IR wireless ability of the Canon flash units allows them to be used with E-TTL flash metering. So if you have a 550EX or a 580EX or the ST-E2...then you can control a 430EX or another 550/580.

If you want something else to trigger them, then I believe you loose the E-TTL metering and would have to set the flash manually. Something like the Pocket Wizards could trigger either the flash or a studio strobe.

3. Stevedevil

Stevedevil TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I only have the one flash, and have a Light Meter to take readings, and can adjust the flash to 1/32 power in Manual so I will prefer a remote trigger..
    Do the Pocket Wizards come with receivers that will plug into the strobes??

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I believe that the typical pocket wizard unit is a transceiver...it can be used as either the sending or receiving unit. So you would need to buy two of them...one for the camera and one for the light. I believe the typical connection is a PC plug, which any strobe unit will have. The 430EX does not have a connection port for a cord so you would need a hot-shoe connector with a socket for the cord from the P.W. unit.

There are cheap E-bay radio remotes...but I've heard that they don't play well with Canon EX units.

Check out this site, he uses Nikon gear...but he's got plenty of good info about using off-camera flash with pocket wizards. http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/
    I suggest reading though the 'Lighting 101' section.

5. Stevedevil

Stevedevil TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well thats a Blow on the Canon front, or should I say " Another Expense For The Consumer " no sync socket on the Camera or Flash ( 350D )

Will have to look at a converter Too

Cheers

( Still Reading, Great Info )

Steve