Canon speedlite advice

I'm getting one soon...either the 430 or the 580 :scratch:

What will you be using it for? The 550/580 are bigger, more powerful and can act as a wireless master. The 430 is slightly smaller, less powerful (but still with plenty of power) and can only act as a slave.

One of the biggest differences is the functionality. The 430 has some buttons on the back that are kind of hard to press...while the 580 has a very nice wheel to control the settings & menus etc.

Of course Price is the big one...the 580 is quite a bit more than the 430. That's why I'm considering the 430. I will probably get the 430...unless I can get a great deal on the 580.

I'll probably be using it for weddings, various portraits and such, and lately there have been situations where a good external flash would've helped.

Right now I'm leaning toward the 430 and if I need to have 2 I can get a 580.

For most wedding situations...the 430 should suffice. But there are always situations when more power is better. Also, I think that the 580 is compatible with Canon's external power pack (for fast recycling & long lasting power)...while the 430 is not.

Big Mike said:
For most wedding situations...the 430 should suffice. But there are always situations when more power is better. Also, I think that the 580 is compatible with Canon's external power pack (for fast recycling & long lasting power)...while the 430 is not.
Since I haven't used an external flash before, the 430 will probably be enough for me. Thanks for the help

My company shoots sports stuff outdoors. We do Celebrity Charity Pro-Ams for the PGA and private charities.

We shoot action and group shots. It is usually a team of 4 amatures (business guys that paid a ridiculous amount of money to play golf with a celebrity) and the Celeb in the center. We can shoot all day , and with hats and high noon lighting, sometimes blasting them with a flash is the only way to see thier faces.

All that said we use both, we had several 430's, but we've gotten a couple of 580's and now I pretty much keep one on me at all times. The 580 can be too much at times though, so I have to be carefull. But I would rather have too much and find a way to back off or bounce light, than not have enough light at all. They are both great flashes though.

I know my uses for it are almost opposite what your are, but I just typed all they to say you can't go wrong with either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back