Canon Speedlite cool down question

Bluepoole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
According to my new 430EX II's manual, one has to let the flash cool down for approx 10 mins after taking 20 continuous shots with it.

My question is - what is meant by "continuous" exactly? Would that be 20 shots taken right after each other, as soon as the flash recharged after every shot? Or does it also apply when you take 20 shots with the flash, but after each shot you waited between 10-30 seconds or more?

It does sound a little limiting to me, if one is shooting a wedding, and you are inside the reception hall and taking shots, wouldn't that be a problem? It is quite easy to take 20 shots, it sounds like when I'm on a roll, I will take about 2 mins to take 20 shots and then have to wait 10mins for the flash to cool down?

Speaking of the 430EX, the only spec I could find with regards to battery life is the standard "between 200-1400 shots" line that Canon issued. That is a bit vague to me. How many shots could one realistically expect, from a set of batteries? I know a lot of factors influence the performance, but I want to get a good general idea from people that have actually experienced it.

I use a set of four 2600mAh batteries in it, with a backup set of four 2500mAh. Will that be enough to cover a wedding? My feeling says I wouldn't even deplete the one set, but backup is always good...

I think they mean full-power firings. And then firing as quickly as possible. Though even then, the flash will hold-out longer than that; I think they're just staying on the cautious side. You can certainly fry a Speedlite, but I think it's liable to shut itself off first. (Or perhaps they even mean that you hook up a battery pack and fire at full power with recycle times of less than 2s. That's quite liable to fry a flash. >.< )

The manual might mention that the flash may stop firing if you push it too hard to prevent damage to the flash tube. I know my 580EXII's have something to that effect in the manual; I haven't managed to fry one though. Just mildly scorched a gel once (due to operator stupidity).

They are warning against firing off that many shots, at full power, one after another. That wouldn't allow the heat to dissipate so it could build up and cause a problem. If you are waiting several seconds between shots, or you aren't firing at full power all the time, then it's not really an issue.

As for how many shots you can get on a set of batteries...it really is that variable. For example, if you are shooting with your subjects 10 feet away, you will use more power than if they are 5 feet away. If you change the ISO from 200 to 400, you use half as much flash power.

I like to carry at least three sets of batteries as I don't like to wait until one set dies before changing them. I don't want to get caught at an important moment with dead batteries.

Thanks for the replies, guys...

musicale - you're right, my 430EX II's manual says the same - the flash will rather shut itself off for a while to prevent damage.

big mike - I think I will, to be on the safe side, take my two sets of rechargables, and one extra set of alkalines, to every event!

And make sure to freshly charge your rechargeables. Regular nmha batteries loose power even when they sit idle.

If they're the new ones though (NiMH), they retain their charge amazingly well. Damn, I love these things. ^.^

Most reactions

New Topics

Back