canon sx10 IS or the olympus e420

leastephens1980

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok so my boyfriend wants to buy me a camera and i am stuck between the canon sx10 IS and the olympus e420....:banghead: any thoughts? i have read up on both of them and they both seem to be very complimented. i do not have much experince in photography but would like something that i can learn with.....

Of the two you are stuck between, the e420 is far better because its an SLR. It has interchangeable lenses and a much larger sensor so you won't have much noise. However, Olys aren't my favourite SLRs because of their small format and a lack of truly "classic" lenses (because four-thirds format has only been around for 6 years, compared to 50 years with Nikon F, or 33 with Pentax K, or approximately 20 with even Canon EF). Look at the Nikon D40, Canon 1000D, and Pentax K200D - they are all better cameras (IMHO) for a comparable price. The Sony DSLR-A200 is also good.

Summary: SLR > P&S

Last edited:
Yes, between the two, the 420 is trump. And, as mentioned above, it doesn't hurt to check out the others in a similar price range.

Actually... this is a triple post... I posted your link in the 3rd one.

My vote is for the Canon sx10. I have one and really enjoy it. I also had an s10 powershot. Yes, you can do a lot with an SLR, but you have a great zoom on the canon, and it takes fantastic pictures. It is also smaller. I took tons of great pictures on the s2, and had a bunch blown up as well. I just prefer not to lug around a bunch of lenses in a bag with me when I'm out taking pictures, and find the camera to be fantastic.

I'm a big fan of SuperZoom cameras and have used them for years.
With Circuit City offering them @ 20% off I couldn't resist to upgrade from a Panasonic FZ-30 to the Canon SX10 IS.
The Canon has the most amazing macro I have ever used!
But to answer your question from my point of view...

A SuperZoom camera will never rival a DSLR.
All you need to kick the SuperZooms butt is bucket load of money.

Price a average DSLR, 55-420 mm lens, mid range len (18-35mm) a Macro lens and a case to carry it all around in.

Then consider that the Canon will give you all the capabilities of that setup and MUCH MORE for an average price of $400 including a case and SD card.

Oh, and by the way. I have had unbelievably fantastic results and quality from my SuperZoom cameras.

My best friend who is a DSLR fanatic and my brother in-law who is a professional underwater photographer have both been amazed at the quality of images from my older FZ-30.

My sister in-law (wife of underwater photographer) has one of my photos at 18"x24" hanging on her wall.

Oh well, a little long winded but I hope it helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back