Canon T1i Shoots Low Quality Landscapes

ANuB1S

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Guys...

I need some consultation...

I'm confused by my new Dig-Camera Canon T1i...

It shoots terrible landscapes...

I've tried many MODEs, BUT nothing helped...
f.e. special Landscape Mode, Auto Mode...
Also I configured Manually: Cloudy/Landscape etc. ( I don't remember everything but I've tried many different modes )
also Changed ISO 100 - 3200 but...

Please Help Me...

Quality SUUUUUX : ( ( ( ( (

See it yourself : (

You have it set to f/22, ISO1600, and 1/160 shutter speed...that's why.

Set it to f/11, ISO200 or ISO400, and up the shutter speed pretty high (probably almost maxxed out). You're letting in way too much light so you need to cut it back.

Also, maxing out your aperture (the f/22) will actually take away some of the sharpness of the lens usually. Few lenses retain their full sharpness stopped down to such a small aperture. f/8 and f/11 seem to be the sweet spots of most lenses.

What lens are you using? could be an issue with the lens as well.

I'm thinking its also an issue with the photographer not understanding the camera. when a scene is so vast in contrast, it will be hard to capture everything well exposed. Granted, at least part of your image should be properly exposed, and I cant find any in yours.

What metering are you using? How about other shots where the scene isnt bright in one place and dark in another?

EDIT: Just read Derek's reply (posted at the same time as mine). Good job Derek getting into the Exif... shooting at f/22 and ISO1600 to get a 1/160 shutter is not necessary. Open that aperture up and drop that ISO down. If the shutter gets too slow, use a tripod.

Its all about learning your camera and how it works. Although shooting in landscape auto mode should not of yielded such odd settings...

You have it set to f/22, ISO1600, and 1/160 shutter speed...that's why.

Set it to f/11, ISO200 or ISO400, and up the shutter speed pretty high (probably almost maxxed out). You're letting in way too much light so you need to cut it back.

Also, maxing out your aperture (the f/22) will actually take away some of the sharpness of the lens usually. Few lenses retain their full sharpness stopped down to such a small aperture. f/8 and f/11 seem to be the sweet spots of most lenses.

Hey, how'd you figure the settings? Curious

Don't blame it on the camera... blame it on the photographer.

You're overexposing... plain and simple.

You might have something set on your camera that your unaware of... but unless your camera is seriously broken, which I doubt... you're just overexposing.

This response seems to hit the nail on the head. For whatever reason, the exposure is excessive. :thumbup:

Google EXIF data.

Most images have it... it's just a matter of using the right means to view it.

I know what EXIF data is, like you asked earlier "I think seeing the EXIF data would help... I can't look on my work computer... can anyone pull it?"

I couldn't find it either so was curious how Derek found it.

I would of shot this...

in AV mode
F/16
Manual Focus
ISO100

What lens are you using? could be an issue with the lens as well.

I'm thinking its also an issue with the photographer not understanding the camera. when a scene is so vast in contrast, it will be hard to capture everything well exposed. Granted, at least part of your image should be properly exposed, and I cant find any in yours.

What metering are you using? How about other shots where the scene isnt bright in one place and dark in another?

EDIT: Just read Derek's reply (posted at the same time as mine). Good job Derek getting into the Exif... shooting at f/22 and ISO1600 to get a 1/160 shutter is not necessary. Open that aperture up and drop that ISO down. If the shutter gets too slow, use a tripod.

Its all about learning your camera and how it works. Although shooting in landscape auto mode should not of yielded such odd settings...

The OP shot in shutter priority mode at 1/160 on a bright day. That's what caused the cam to choose f/22. To the OP - try shooting in aperture priority mode to start unless you really need to freeze action or blur motion - neither would be the goal here. See what the camera chooses and then adjust the exposure bias or switch to manual mode to tweak your results.

HTH

Google EXIF data.

Most images have it... it's just a matter of using the right means to view it.

I know what EXIF data is, like you asked earlier "I think seeing the EXIF data would help... I can't look on my work computer... can anyone pull it?"

Let me google that for you

:lol: :sexywink:

Yeah I think it'll help more if you posted a screen shot of that image's EXIF date :thumbup::lmao:

Let me google that for you

:lol: :sexywink:

Yeah I think it'll help more if you posted a screen shot of that image's EXIF date :thumbup::lmao:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Image Date: 2010-07-22 13:11:22 +0400
Focal Length: 18.0mm
Aperture: f/22.0
Exposure Time: 0.0063 s (1/160)
ISO equiv: 1600
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: No (Manual)
Color Space: sRGB

I use a Firefox extension to view exif - so long as it has not been stripped by the hosting site.

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Image Date: 2010-07-22 13:11:22 +0400
Focal Length: 18.0mm
Aperture: f/22.0
Exposure Time: 0.0063 s (1/160)
ISO equiv: 1600
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: No (Manual)
Color Space: sRGB

I use a Firefox extension to view exif - so long as it has not been stripped by the hosting site.

:thumbup: Now that is something! I used IE 8 which wasn't much help

This is a forum regular posting on an alias as a joke. Right ?

Thanks Guys, I know I'm N00B (YET :D)

I hope I'll learn shooting, slowly...

It's my first DSLR...

Pic-Upload.de - Kostenlos Bilder & Fotos hochladen

After Photoshop :D I know it's overconstrasted but I like it :D

tomorrow I'll test some configurations...

At first I'll try your recommendations...

and also I'm gonna read some Guides about shooting...

I'm sorry 4 my noobness : P

I think you're agree with me, at the beginning everyone was noob... : P

P.S. Sorry 4 My Bad English. (tmi)

Most reactions

Back