Canon T1i sold out everywhere?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by ELDUDER, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ELDUDER

ELDUDER TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I finally decided to go for it and order the Canon T1i today and when I tried everyone was sold out, BH, Adorama, Samy's....those were the three I was considering since they all had the camera priced the same and the lowest price I have been able to find.

So anyways, does anyone know whats going on? Did Canon quit making this model or something? Or are they really just selling them that fast?

Any input would be great,

Thanks.

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    T1i is the 500D overhere in England and as its their newest entry level camera body I doubt that production has stopped since there is no model to replace it. Chances are that its just sold out because manufacture has failed to meet the actual demand. I would place the order at B&H or Adorama (I don't know Samy's to know how reliable they are) and just wait for the stock to build back up. That or pay a higher now price for a highstreet shop.
    Avoid the temptation to seek out other cheap alternative online vendors and if you do find them check them out first! (ask in forums and alsocheck reseller ratings and read the reviews there).

3. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  4. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    As far as I have heard production has failed to meet demand quite a lot recently. I suspect its because the manufacturers have reduced their output partly as result of the currenet financial times - coupled with increased hobby spending (hobbies are one thing that do well in a recession since people really do want escapism - and at the start people do grab purchase at things).

Add to that the fact that the built in video features of the newer DSLRs are actually scooping up more amateur video (though its more the 5DM2 and 7D, but the 500D is agood staring point) enthusiasts as well.

5. ELDUDER

ELDUDER TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, I am thinking I might just go ahead and order from B&H or Adorama so that way as soon as its available it will be on its way. Samy's is a great place that is based out of California, I've bought a bunch of stuff from them, pretty big store but might not be to scale with Adorama and B&H so I think I might have better luck at those places.

I was thinking the same, seems like an odd time to sell out unless they just got hit really hard for the holidays and Canon hasnt sent any more to replenish their stock.

Thanks for the link, I just need the new body so I can keep using the same glass I already have, not really interested in a new kit lens :)

6. ELDUDER

ELDUDER TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hoping thats all that has happened and they will get some more here soon...I've been needing to upgrade to a new body for a while and now that I finally have a good excuse and everyone is sold out!

7. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    What camera do you have now? Have you considered the idea of upgrading to a 40D (second hand now but there are still good deals to be had on these) or maybe even move to a 50D?
    Unless you are after the video feature and can't really afford the 7D (and some people do want video I know I would like it for some subjects) I would try to move up a grade rather than sticking to entry level camera bodies.

8. RauschPhotography

RauschPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Check Amazon, Ebay?

9. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  10. ELDUDER

ELDUDER TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Its a very old Canon 300D, which I believe was one of the first digital rebels they made but I could easily be wrong on that. It worked great for years but recently the picture quality has started to suffer, not sure what it is, but after my last trip I noticed the viewfinder window is no longer parrallel, vertical or horizontal. No matter what lens is on it the horizon is never level and looks to be skewed. I originally thought I had knocked something loose in the lens I was using, but you can see that it is skewed even if there is no lens on it. Some pics can be processed to look ok, but some cant be saved. I would rather spend some extra cash and upgrade to a new body rather than spend money on an 8 year old outdated camera trying to fix it.

Not really interested in the video feature, I've had cameras that were video capable and never used it. I would love to do the 50D, especially since all the batteries and CF cards I already have would be compatible, but the price is still a little too high. Just bought 2 new lenses, so cash is kind of tight at the moment. 7D is way out of the ballpark. I havent looked into the 40D though....

Found a couple on ebay, most selling at or really close to retail price. If I am going to be spending the same amount of money for a used one as a new one I would rather wait and buy new with a warranty.

Interesting....I'll have to run by best buy tomorrow and see if they have that here. I am in OKC, so my photo store options are very slim.

Thanks to everyone!

11. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

If your camera have problem, you may Canon Tech Support at 866-443-8002 or 800-828-4040. Ask about the Canon Loyalty program.

If qualify, you maybe able to trade up with your broken camera to a refurbished T1i or 50D with warranty (I believe it is less than 1 year) from Canon directly.

Last time I read from another forum, T1i kit was around $405 and the 50D kit was $769. When you called them, they will let you know the price. Keep in mind that the kit lens that shipped with 50D often sold more than $200 on local craigslist. So the 50D body itself could cost less than $600 if you can get it.

12. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit