Canon T1i vs. the Mark II 5D?

My vote is also for the 40D; 50D; 7D. I was going to upgrade to the 5DM2 (from the rebel XTI) but I did not have any high end glass so I opted for the 40D instead and had money left over for an L lens.

The 5D is next in my upgrade line and now that I think about it; the cropped sensor of the 40D can still be used for sports photography and the like as well as a backup. Turned out to be a win/win situation :mrgreen:

Get good glass first. And go EF only if you want FF in the future. Cheap glass on a 5D Mk II will show, especially in AF. a 21MP file is no use if the lens is soft. Get a few good lenses first and then consider upgrading the body. I plan on getting a Canon 40D/50D before Christmas only because by then I'll have the EF 100 Macro USM and because I'll need(or rather it'd be a PITA if I didn't) a second body by January, my Tamron 17-50 on 40/50D and 100 Macro on Rebel XS. After that I only plan on upgrading when I can afford a 5D MkIII or 1Ds Mk IV. And that only after having at least a 24-70 and 70-200 f/4L IS at the minimum to go with it.

My point, smarter to upgrade glass before body. At least from what I've learned.

If you are having noise issues with the T1i even at low ISO settings, you may be consistantly underexposing your photos.

Underexposure makes image noise more noticable in any digital camera.

Do you use the histogram, and have you investigated the concept of ETTR - Expose To The Right?

I agree, you shouldn't see a lot of noise in the T1i....especially in the lower ISO ranges. Its a great camera.

If you decide on the 5dII, you will love it. Its a fantastic body. I don't know why some folks have issues with the autofocus. Its not the best, but its very accurate. The points are pretty clustered around the center which isn't real great, but I can easily work with it. Shooting sports with it is not a problem. Sometimes I wonder how sports images were ever captured years ago......if you listen to everything you see on the internet. LOL My 5DII is obviously not what I reach for first to shoot fast paced stuff, but I often couple it with my 1DIV to shoot sporting events and it works just fine.

After reading the posts I have to say I agree with the majority of them. I would however say if it were my credit card I would invest in a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens and not look back until you have the basics down solid. I have not only the 500D (T1i) but the 7D and 5d Mark II and use each of them for a variety of applications. As a matter of fact I got the 500D after the others because I got such a great deal on it. I love it because it is small, light weight and has great performance once you throw the kit lens in the trash and buy real quality glass!

+1 for the 7D. The autofocus and viewfinder are incredible, and you get the same build quality as the 5D. You should be able to get one for at least $700 less than a 5D, which would buy you a nice piece of L glass.

--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back