Canon T4i/650D Question

InsertTechHere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello people! I'm the new guy.

So for the last month or so, I've bn planing to buy the Nikon D3200 because it had some serious advantages over the Canon T3i, but the main advantage that made me lean over the Nikon was the Autofocus during video mode. I shoot tons of HD video on my cameras and this feature was and still is a MUST for me. So let's go back to a few days ago, I see that the Canon T4i was relased, and I looked up on it. It had Continuous Autofocus during video mode. Plus it had a touchscren with Touch-to-focus, in-camera HDR, 1040k dots screen, higher ISO, it shoots faster, and lots more features.

I was like: "Sweet!" so I forgot the Nikon and kept going, UNTIL I SAW THE PRICE. $950 FOR THE BODY+18-55mm KIT LENS?! WHAAAAAAAATT?!

So, last few days I've ben looking for a cheap alternative solution for a lens (To reduce the price a little). Thing is, I don't know which to choose.

HERE COMES THE QUESTION:
Will any Canon Autofocus lens work with the new continuous focus thingy in the Canon T4i/650D? I'm planning on getting a used 18-135mm but I don't know if the continuous Autofocus will work.

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, the every AF lens will work. I would recommend one with a USM. Don't use auto-focus during video though, I've never seen a DSLR have good continuous AF

-ken Turner

TheKenTurner said:
Yes, the every AF lens will work. I would recommend one with a USM. Don't use auto-focus during video though, I've never seen a DSLR have good continuous AF

-ken Turner

The T4i has continuous AF during video mode that works with the new STM technology. From what I've seen, it's pretty impressive.

So will it only work with a STM Lens?

No, the AF in video works by using contrast. It will focus any lens that would normally focus on the body. The STM is just a Stepper Motor implementation rather than the Ultrasonic Motor (USM) and is supposedly silent. The perk is that you don't hear the autofocusing of the lens in the video you're recording. I would think this would be somewhat unimportant to anyone that is heavy into video and concerned with quality since that person would likely have an external mic that wouldn't pick up the AF motor sound anyway. I would think, if anything, a parfocal lens would be more important.

mjhoward said:
No, the AF in video works by using contrast. It will focus any lens that would normally focus on the body. The STM is just a Stepper Motor implementation rather than the Ultrasonic Motor (USM) and is supposedly silent. The perk is that you don't hear the autofocusing of the lens in the video you're recording. I would think this would be somewhat unimportant to anyone that is heavy into video and concerned with quality since that person would likely have an external mic that wouldn't pick up the AF motor sound anyway. I would think, if anything, a parfocal lens would be more important.

I guess the new sensor In the T4i is a hybrid CMOS that has phase detect AF built into the sensor. So as I understand it, it's basically like having a Sony SLT camera in the sense that it has full time phase detect AF in video mode, but it still has a perdy OVF.

mjhoward said:

I guess the new sensor In the T4i is a hybrid CMOS that has phase detect AF built into the sensor. So as I understand it, it's basically like having a Sony SLT camera in the sense that it has full time phase detect AF in video mode, but it still has a perdy OVF.

I had not read that... if thats the case, then it would be quite interesting.

So will it only work with a STM Lens?

I've heard it only works with the STM lenses, are you COMPLETELY sure that any AF lens will work with the continuous AF on the 650D?

InsertTechHere said:
I've heard it only works with the STM lenses, are you COMPLETELY sure that any AF lens will work with the continuous AF on the 650D?

Are you gonna believe what we say or not?

-ken Turner

The AF during shooting works with any Canon compatible AF lens. As someone else noted, the STM just makes the process a little smoother (not as jumpy).

That said, both the Canon and Nikon implementations of AF during shooting is still crap. Probably great for soccer moms/dads, but not good enough for professional work. The only implementation I've seen in a DSLR that is up to par is the GH2. If you absolutely NEED autofocus while shooting, get a camcorder. I have the Canon Vixia HF R300 because the footage matches up well with my Canon DSLR footage when color grading.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back