Canon T50; What Do I Really Have?

Soul Rebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was given my fathers camera after he decided that he did not want it any longer. I had been using a cheaper Olympus that my mother got me for christmas and was pretty happy with it because I did not have to think.

When I got this camera I used it quite a bit but the photos did not turn out since I had no clue what I was doing. I stuck it on the shelf. Until now. After getting our digital camera and finding these forums my interest has again reached its peak and I now want to learn how to use this camera.

The first step is to find out exactly what I have. I have found stuff on google but I am curious if anybody here has had this camera or used it before? I did a quick search and found nothing related to what I wanted to find. So I thought I would create a thread.

What did you want to find?

The T series cameras were a newer than the old A series (AE-1) etc. They had more automatic features like auto exposure, auto film advance etc.

They still used the older, manual focus FD lenses. So no autofocus. The good news is that used FD lenses are cheap and plentiful.

I really was interested to find out whether this was a quality camera or if I should try and find something else? I have been using the digital camera (FujiFilm FinePix S3000, 3.2 MP) but I have been wanting to start using film as well. I dont want to make a huge effort if the camera is not all that great.

Well, if it's in good working order, then by all means, it's a nice camera.

Especially if you put some nice glass in front of it.

I know nothing about the lenses that I was given. Lets see what I have here....

I have one that says Canon Lens FD 50mm 1:1.8.

Another one looks like its made by Sears? It says Multi Coated, 1:2.8, f=28mm, 52 with a slash throught he 0, and Auto. Along with No. 870700847.

The last one says Vivitar DL, 75-205mm, 1:3.8-4.8, MC, Macro Focusing Zoom and 52 mm.

I dont know when they were purchased. I also thought I had another lens but I dont see it in here. It was a panoramic lens. Odd that I cant find it.

The 50mm is a good lens. F1.8 is a nice big aperture.

The 28mm lens should be Ok as well. Sear sold a lot of stuff, they didn't make it, they just put their name on it. The 52 is the diameter of the front threads. (circle with a slash means diameter)

The Vivitar is a slower zoom (not that big of a maximum aperture) but if it is an actual 'macro' lens...then that is pretty good.

Might as well try it out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back